1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 wired computers downstairs need to connect to internet & network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by akiragraphics, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akiragraphics

akiragraphics Thread Starter

OBJECTIVE:
    Currently running a wireless network but I have 2 desktops downstairs that need WIRED internet. I don't want to have to buy 2 wireless cards to connect both machines to the internet AND network (I also need to transfer larger files since we work with heavy graphics).

SETUP:
    Both have Gb network cards installed.
    - One is a server, running on windows 2003 server
    - The other is a regular desktop running win xp pro sp2

I was thinking of purchasing a wireless access point router or bridge that has about 4 ports (in case I add 2 more machines). Would be great too if I can use this same system to upgrade our bluray player =)

Currently, the cable modem is attached to a belkin wireless pre-n router [F5D8230-4] here's link: http://is.gd/mleI

Can someone help? :)

2. jmwills

jmwills

Is there any reason why you cannot runa a CAT5 cable from the wireless router to a switch where these two machines are? Seems like the simplest solution to me.

3. akiragraphics

Sorry, forget to mention that the router and cable modem are both upstairs.

I'd like to go for wireless since aside from the modem room being upstairs, the distance to the other office downstairs is at the opposite end of the house.

4. akiragraphics

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Computers upstairs with wireless router
    2 Computers downstairs that need to connect.
    Does not want to run cable and does not want to buy 2 wireless adapters.
    Sounds like he wants a wireless switch and those aren't cheap.

JohnWill, TerryNet
    Do you know if a wireless adapter could be connected by ethernet to WLAN port on router downstairs and the router be programed to access upstairs wireless using it.
    Seem to remember seeing a thread something like this before, but can't find it now.

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

7. akiragraphics

thanks for that!

I'm just crossing my fingers that it won't have any issues w/ the belkin.

in order to connect 2 machines to the 'net and network, should i plug in a 4 port hub?

8. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

To be honest, I have never used a hub before, so don't know how one would work in this situation. I know a litle about routers, but still not sure of differecces between hubs and switches.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The access point/bridge you mentioned in post # 4 is the right type of product; but it is 5 GHz only and your router (and probably all your adapters) are 2.4 GHz.

This product should work. buy.com has it for $97 (temp. sold out).

Have you checked with a laptop to make sure that you are going to be satisfied with wireless where you need it for the two computers?

10. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

TerryNet, thanks for the information. Do you think a hub or switch would work for the downstairs setup? I have never used either, but if I remember correctly a hub does not make a distinction between computers hooked to it, while a switch dies.

DLSayre

11. jmwills

jmwills

The switch will know where to send the packets instead of a hub which will broadcast to the LAN until a receiver responds.

I would still lay the wire.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    dlsayremn, yes, the downstairs needs a switch or hub, and jmwills stated why a switch is better. The problem is getting communication between that switch and the upstairs router. The product I used as an example has a switch built into it.

By the way, when considering an ethernet cable don't just think of the shortest distance. Sometimes up to the attic or down to the basement and then across to the other side of the house and back down or up can make a mostly hidden and neat communication path. Sometimes already existing heating/cooling ducts can be "borrowed."

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I picked up CAT5e cable for $70/1000 feet, so running it the long way isn't all that expensive. :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/807368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice