1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 wireless connection in the same laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kawa636, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kawa636

Kawa636 Thread Starter

I have my personal laptop for work and at home too.
    at home I have verizon wireless and at work the have wireless but is secured with static IP address , subnet mask , defauult gateway and preferred DNS server.

I have the setup done in my laptop for work and now at home my laptop detect my home wireless connection and it say "connected" but i can't log surf the net.

if I go to TCP/IP protocol page and check the obtain an IP and DNS automatically button my connection at home work fine.. but then next day i have to manually input all the addresses again

it is a way to have two diferent setup that detect automatically my connection without going thru this pain all the time

Thanks
    Jose Rivera

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The only way I know to make this work is to set up hardware profiles in Windows. You can get to it by right clicking on My Computer and then clicking on Properties. You will see a new window come up. Click on the Hardware tab. Click the button which says Hardware Profiles. A new window will pop up showing the current profile you're running. Click on that profile and then click the copy button. Name this profile something unique like Home Network. Close out the windows by clicking OK and reboot your computer. Now when you boot up, you'll see a menu option which will ask you to pick which hardware profile you want to load. Select the one you just created. When Windows comes up fully, go in to your TCP/IP properties and change them over to DHCP. Now, when ever you select the new profile, you'll automatically be using DHCP instead of the other configuration you have with the static information.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice