1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 Wireless Routers 1 SSID Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jacko_r, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacko_r

jacko_r Thread Starter

Hi,

I am new to this forum and seeking for some help please.

Inially I had one BT Fibre Router with WPA enabled no issues with my two laptops connecting.

My new setup now is one BT Fibre Router with an extra Linksys Router CAT5 cabled together.. Setup is same SSID different channels 1,6 same WPA passwords.

My issue is I can to the Linksys router no problem but cannot now connect to the BT router on either laptop. Once I remove WPA I can connect to either router. When connecting to the BT router it says Windows cannot connect to ...

I have tried different SSID's using same and different channels different password on each.. WPA2 and WPA and none connect to BT box.. Firewall is disabled and DHCP disabled on the Linksys but enabled on the BT box. Also wireless profiles have been deleted and recreated. AES and TKIP and different wireless bands n/g have been used still will not work.

I thought the issue maybe the linksys box so I purchased TP Link wireless deivices and they do exacly the same.

I have the issue narrowed down to encription being enabled. Both laptops are fairly new and with one router work with WPA fine but not with two in use.

Help?

2. pip22

pip22

I think the problem is caused by having wireless encryption enabled on both routers. This is both unnecessary and pointless. You only need wireless encryption on one of them to prevent unauthorised wireless access to your network. I suggest you leave encryption enabled on the BT router but disable it on the Linksys one, or vice-versa.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not understand that. What prevents somebody from connecting to the unsecured WAP?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is utter nonsense. As Terry mentioned, leaving one AP unencrypted connected to the same LAN exposes the entire network. You might as well just turn off encryption on the other one too.

Based on what I'm seeing with the the OP, the problem is with the BT router. Adding the Linksys router broadcasting a wireless network will not impact the operation of the BT router on whether you can connect to it with encryption enabled.

5. jacko_r

jacko_r Thread Starter

Still having this issue.

No security works 100% WEP Key works 100% both devices. Use WPA/WPA2 will not work.

This is not a windows fault my iphone will not connect either when set to WPA.

As you all know WEP is not the best so prefer to get to the bottom of this fault...

As to a previous post to use no encription on one device tried that and it splits the SSID's two devices and again does not work.

About to pull my hair out!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The more I thought about this since my previous post the more I came to the same conclusion that zx10guy did: "the problem is with the BT router."

I can only suggest one more experiment, and I think you've already tried it ...

Assign, for example, SSID1 and channel 1 and WPA or WPA2 encryption to the BT. Assign SSID2 and channel 6 (same or different or no encryption) to the second router. There should be no impact on you connecting to the BT. This is the same as us being in adjacent apartments each using one of those routers. If you cannot connect to the BT this way I do not know what's wrong with the BT, but something is.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice