1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2 XP Linking Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by haiyashi, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haiyashi

haiyashi Thread Starter

ok, I have 3 computers.. setting up the fourth

this is the connection

Internet >> Modem >> Hub >> Computer 1
    >> Computer 2 >>>> Lapt

I"m not even going to bother with the laptop yet.. but the first 2 computer are having trouble accessing...

the computers shows up on the other computer, but it keeps asking me to make sure I have administrative right.. so I checked everything.. shared folder.... checked Users but it doesn't let me specify to let who in or keep who out........ they are both on the same workplace with different computer names.. I don't know what to do

I know this is a fairly dangerous configuration
    that's why I"m setting up the fourth where it'll be the firewall server...

the two computers have their own IP, please help or ask if there's any more questions.

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

computer 2 is connected to the hub? or to computer 1?

Are the two computers able to ping each other? Are you getting 2 IP addresses from your ISP? What are the ip addresses, masks and gateways configured as? What OS? Firewalls? What do you mean trouble accessing? Accessing what?

3. haiyashi

haiyashi Thread Starter

computer 2 is connected to the hub, not to computer 1...
    operating system is Windows XP Professional Both SP2

the 2 computers have different IP address from the ISP
    everything is set auto...

Trouble accessing means...

eventhough I see the other computer on the network, if I click on it, a error about priviledge comes up....

something like "Please contact your administrator to ensure you have the proper right to access this computer" something like that.. I"m translating it coz it's chinese windows, but it should work the same way right..

4. NoTongue

NoTongue

Find the IPs, then do START/ RUN / and input:

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$ <--- the IP of the other system

and hit return. What happens?

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

XP's service pack 2 introduced firewall software that is turned on automatically. That firewall software will need to be configured to allow the connections from one to the other. To me it sounds like the firewall is currently not allowing your connections.

Also, make sure the workgroups are the same, and that you have the same username using the same password on both machines.

Once those three things are set correctly, you should be able to browse from one to the other...

(BTW: if the two machines can see one another, the IP addressing setups sound like they're fine.)

6. haiyashi

haiyashi Thread Starter

computer see eachother, username is same for me on both computers, on the same home network... still not working

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One of the nice changes with SP2's firewall is that you can have it turned on and still access a local network. Often with SP1 and automatic updates, that version of the firewall would be automatically turned on and no allow any LAN access. But I would not have an additional 3rd party firewall installed until you get it all work. There was no mention of one but just wanted to get that out of the way.

You mentioned that you have the same user accounts on both computers. With the default setting of XP Pro you also need to have a non-blank password.

Sometimes the Winsock registry entries get corrupted.

To Delete the Old, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To Add in a clean entry, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice