2 XP - want to remove 1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

entity

Some how my small brother was trying to cure his pc prbs but in this he installed 2 win xp (n) Now it comes options 2 chose either XP in startup... Pls tell me how do i remove one XP.

I dont think i m repeating topic (sorry if i am), bcoz on net ppl suggest to format drive while i cannot format it, just want to remove one, both are working fine, how can i do that ?

thnku for help :)

Are there really 2 or just 2 choices at startup? Do both start the same XP or different ones?

entity

both are totally diff xps at diff places

thankx bobol checking ur links too

entity

today i tried qucik format from one windows, i formatted the other drive, everything was removed but the windows selection was still there in start :S :(

how do i format it now

entity

guyz, pls help me man, ur links were too hard to understand :'(

now i have 4 XP's shyt i have messed up my pc a lot

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

entity: If all you want to do is eliminate the choices of operating system on boot-up.....do the following: right-click My Computer>select "properties">advanced tab>click "settings" on "startup and recovery" option>reduce "time to display list of operating systems" from 30 seconds to 0>click "OK". That should fix it.

pjblevin

entity

thankx for it but i have already done that.

Want to just remove them from boot up menu, pls tell me how do i format those drives to remove their names from there.

Are you meaning different drives?If so from command line type format X.On the other hand if it's a partition you can't without wiping the whole disk.
Sorry,site down for maintainence prevented finishing.There are disk management tools in XP,refer to Help & Support- it can talk you through.
Key word is formatting or format,disk management,partitions etc.Do not
proceed if both XP's are on the same drive,ie "C",you need to look for an
extended partition with another letter;but not D or A.If you have external
CD/DVD they will be assigned letters too,probably E.To alter partitions
without effecting data,takes a expensive third party tool.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online