1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

20 gb disk drive installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyber19583, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyber19583

cyber19583 Thread Starter

current student on campus scenario: have a 4gb win98 system. would like to know how or if i can have two internal drives mounted ( the second is a 20 gb ). upon looking inside, i only see two horizontal "pin" slots. one is for the cd rom and the other is for the 4 gb ( there is no third "pin" slot ). the 20gb obviously has its own cabling, so where do i connect it. can i "adapt" or piggyback it to the 4 gbs cable or must totally new motherboard it. ALSO, it is possible to backup my 4gb even though i do not have a cd burner or zip drive? kindly advise and/or recommend a solution.

Thank You with a star

P.S.! looked around and did not find the answer among the postings.

2. brianF

brianF

Each cable going to the two slots on the motherboard can support two devices, one master and one slave.

connect it to the same cable as the current hard drive, make sure the new one is jumpered as slave, and double check the old one to make sure it is jumpered as master(some drives jumper as single, it would need to be changed to master).

Attached ide cable red stripe to pin 1, connect power connector.

Start up machine, enter bios, find the ide configuration menu, set the primary slave to auto detect, if it doesn't have that setting you may need to manually detect it. Once detected the drive should show the correct size. Save settings and exit setup.

Boot up to the command prompt, you will need to fdisk and format the new drive.
    Instructions here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255867

Post back any additional question's you have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice