20 gbs windows folder?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Quick reply - No. Thats about right, I'm afraid.(That is 64 bit?) Normal installation, which could vary with your PC's requirements, is about 100 items or so, and about 9 to 10 gbs.You have a couple of logs there and a .tmp, but nothing worth risking a deletion for. But, having said that, you have one (or more) lurking there which is REALLY large.
Suspect (Not showing on mine)
E80F6..etc
EEB3..etc
OEMCert
SMinst
bthservsdp.dat
bwUnin....etc.exe
CSUP.txt
hp (2 files - maybe for a printer on your setup? They could be hogging space?)
Select details in the view and you will see instantly where the space is going. It may not be serious but that is a lot!

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Right click on Disk C: in Windows Explorer and under the General tab, click on Disk Cleanup and see what it says.

SonoInc

disck cleanup only deleted 665 mbs.

I'm confused as to what you're saying davehc.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Ok. First you must configure the view in Windows explorer. Follow these steps:
In Windows explorer, Open Folder Options.
Check Display file size information in folder tips
Check Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items.
Click OK.

Now go to the windows folder and open it. Click the small arrow to the right of views and click "details" from the drop down menu. You will now see, over to the far right, the size of each individual file. If you scroll down the list you will see which file appears to be extremely large.
Now, if you followed the views instruction, if you move the pointer over the FOLDER for which you want to see the size and let it hover,. a pop-up will show you the Size and Date created of the folder. This will give you some indication if any folder is very, very large. The largest you are likely to have there is System32, which would still be less than 2Gbs.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Sorry mistype, I meant 3Gbs for System 32. Your 3.2 is certainly within limits, but doesn't really account for your 20GB'S overall

SonoInc

yeah, it's so big!!! why is it so big? I need to clear space

jbemp

Banned
A few questions so I can assist better

What all do you have installed program wise?
How long have you had the PC?
Do you have any Antivirus or anti spyware?
Have you updated the AV and ASP and run scans?

Give me as much info on the situation. 10gigs is normal for a fresh install but after that I have seen as big as 25gig and it was due to all the extra stuff installed including the vender BS(dell is the worst! for that)

Thanx
John B.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
I think(?) you may have misunderstood, jbemp. (or I have).
It is only the C:\windows folder which is so large.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
I think you might possibly have misuderstood the problem, Jbemp? (Or I have!!)
It is only the C:\windows folder which is so large.
I have installed, reinstalled etc, many programs over the past couple of years (and OS's) I have never encountered a windows directory which has expanded to 20 gigs.
(There's always a first, though!)

jbemp

Banned
NO I do understand! Vista is a whokle NEW beast in its own. At the moment my C:/windows folder is 15gig! so yes 20 is a little high but it is also effected by installed software and hardware. Other then just the programsfolder the windows folder is also used when programs are installed. Also drives and such for hardware is on the windows folder! Trust me that folder can be large I have sceen it 25gig before! As long as there are no viruses or spyware on the system it is nothing to wory about the required size for a Vista hard drive is 40gig do to how large the OS is I recomend at this point for a Vista hard drive to be NO smaller then 80gig for a normal home user.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online