20 H2 update install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Exsiner65

Geek squad just ried to ficx and ci could not restart
had to un do the changes they made

crjdriver

You have already been told what to do in post #10. If you do not want to do that, then the only thing you can do is keep trying to fix your current install. As I said, a clean install from the usb takes all of 8min from start to reboot to the desktop on a fast system. Another hour or two to install drivers, updates, and software.
Done.

I just did a clean install on my personal system and it was just under 8min from start to desktop.

Exsiner65

but then i lose every thing but thanks for your help i was trying not to start from scratch

Exsiner65

as i stated this was done from windows 7 data they backed it up from windows 7 all i had to do was reinstall the apps everything else including my desktop image and icons were there
were there so this way is ot of the question

crjdriver

In place feature updates [while better than in the past] are sometimes problematic. How much time have you already spent on trying to fix the problem? Even a slow system, you can do the complete job in less than 3hr; a fast system can be done quicker.
Up to you; either continue to attempt to fix OR clean install and be done with the problem.

Exsiner65

so what you are all telling me is that i have to start all over and reinstall every thing. why is that the only way. easy for you know what to do i do not and i do not have unlimited time to reinstall ever as every program and i have over 8000 yes you read that right 8000 photos on here ai have never backed up file only back i know how to do is a full system back with acronis . have nver backed up fils apps program by them selves not sure i even know how. I was hoping that someone could ay yes an in place would be tetter and would help me with it . I am 67 yrs old live a lone and have no help

Last edited:

Exsiner65

a clean install means fresh out of the box coreect well i did not get it fresh oit of the box i have data backed up from 7 and it kept all my files programs dessktop i did not have to install am nything buy my apps

Exsiner65

i have done sfc so many times i can do it by heart and the Dism too and neither found or fixed any problems and i do not have scan disc do do it I have d cds and dvdis and an external hard drive that is old as crap. I am not going to do a clean install and lose 8000 plus photos

Last edited:

crjdriver

so what you are all telling me is that i have to start all over and reinstall every thing. why is that the only way. easy for you know what to do i do not and i do not have unlimited time to reinstall ever as every program and i have over 8000 yes you read that right 8000 photos on here ai have never backed up file only back i know how to do is a full system back with acronis . have nver backed up fils apps program by them selves not sure i even know how. I was hoping that someone could ay yes an in place would be tetter and would help me with it . I am 67 yrs old live a lone and have no help
No, what I am telling you is what I would do. In at most 3hr you can be done with the problem. If you want to keep messing with the problem, of course that is up to you.
i have over 8000 yes you read that right 8000 photos on here ai have never backed
I have a saying; "Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data at some time. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail"

Honestly a clean install is not very difficult [I must do at the very least one per week] The very first thing to do [as pointed out above] is to make sure you have a current backup of all data files. Next thing to do is to go to the support page for your motherboard or system. Download the drivers you will need ie chipset/motherboard driver, sound, lan, etc. If you have a real video card and not onchip video, then go to the relevant site ie AMD or Nvidia and download the latest driver. Store all of these along with whatever utilities you normally use ie CCleaner, irfanview, etc on a flash drive. When you have all of the drivers, utilities, etc in one place, the install goes much easier.
Next make the bootable win10 install usb using the media creation tool on the ms site. Once done, you are almost ready to do the install. With the system shutdown and pw cord removed, open the case and pull the pw connectors from any drives on which are not installing windows. If you only have a single hard disk, then skip this step.

Boot the system with the usb you made. Delete ALL partitions on the drive and have setup complete the install. When done [which should take all of 10~30min depending on the speed of your system and whether you are using a mech drive or ssd] Shutdown and reconnect any drive you disconnected. Again if you only have a single drive, then skip this step. Now install drivers in the following order;
1 Install chipset/motherboard driver; reboot
2 Install sound, nic/lan drivers as necessary; reboot
3 Install the video driver; reboot
4 Now install whatever utilities, programs, etc you use and copy the data/work files back

Done.
What I do when finished with a clean install is to make an image of the system drive using acronis. Call this image "Clean install" If you ever need to clean install again, it takes all of 5~10min to restore the image; clean install done.

Last edited:

crjdriver

FWIW I seldom do in-place feature updates. On my personal systems, I just clean install every 6 months with the lasted version of windows. I did do an in-place upgrade on my wife's system and that went well however it was on a reasonably clean windows install. I think I clean installed win10 2004 a few weeks prior to doing the in-place upgrade.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online