Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

20 Minute Boot !!!

724 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rainforest123 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently experienced a STOP message that basically pointed out I that I would be stressed for the next 2 days. Sure enough I found myself re-installing XP and everything looks and works fine in XP but...

Every time I startup or restart my computer, my load takes around 20mins ! I have a Compaq Presario V2000. When I power or restart, the screen goes black, everything flashes, then the Compaq screen shows for about a second (guessing is the BIOS because it lets me hit F8 or whatever) but then after that it goes to a black screen with a status bar at the bottom. Slowly the status bar fills up. At around 20 minutes, which the bar is half way, then the computer flashes again and the XP logo shows and loads normally afterwards.

Im having no more problems with XP or anything else except that startup screen. People tell me its the BIOS, others tell me its not recognizing the Hard drive fast enough among other things. My BIOS boot order is basically CD first then HD. I have tried so many things with no success. And its getting to the point that I cant do anything when it comes to updating stuff without having to restart, which takes those 20mins.

Any advice ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello & Welcome.

What was the stop message? The reason that the stop message appeared may be related to your current problem.

Did you re-format & re-install?

Make a list of the things you have tried. We may need to know them.

Boot to safe mode, by tapping the F8 key once a second during the boot process.
Report the results.

XP Pro or Home or Media Center?
Which SP?

How old is your hard disk drive?

Did you add or remove any hardware between the appearance of the stop message and the re-installation?

RF123

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.