1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2000 ADV server problem to WIN ME- SOLVED!!! EASY!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tydogg, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tydogg

tydogg Thread Starter

It took several nights of trying different scenarios but this one really works!! Many sleepless nights -LOL!!!
    I have determined that ICS does not work. Well not for myself anyway. It's a complete waste of time. Now off to the important stuff. You should try using NAT (network address translation).
    No need for an expensive router when you're op sys will do it for you. I have a cable modem connection to my USB. A network card for my local connection to one client computer running win ME.
    I am also behind a firewall Zone Alarm Pro and it worked without dropping the firewall.

<Important> 1st step- lan card connected to local network ip:
    configure stat ip 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway..... dns server obtain from isp provider
    (start-run-command-ipconfig/all to get first and second dns servers address for your isp) Enter the numbers.

Once you have done this it's time to setup nat routing.

Start>programs>adm tools>routing and remote access.
    Right click your server>enable

Choose configure routing and remote access>manually config serv>finish>start

Expand ip routing>r click general>new routing protocol>network address translator

R click NAT> new interface>choose which connection is connected to the internnet>click public and check box for headers>ok

R click NAT> new interface>choose your local connection>click private network>ok

NAT properties>click log maximum>address assignment-check box for dhcp>name resolution- check box for dns

Make sure your client computer is set to obtain ip automatically. Restart client so it obtains address>apply or ok

Check to make sure client picked up new address on client computer. winipconfig or ipconfig/all depending on what op system you are using.

Right click the server in left side of control panel on you host machine>all tasks> restart

You should be able to connect to internet on client. If not, go to NAT properties>add assignment tab> if ip is not the same as your client computer change it so it is and change mask also to match client then restart the server. It should pick up the new ip in the Nat prop tab. this is what happened to me. This held me up for awhile trying to get on the net. That ip on the NAT prop tab is absolutely imperative to have correct in order for this to work.

NOTE: These instructions are only for network adapters(dsl,cable,etc..) lan connections not dial up. You will have to go to microsoft for instructions with dial-up. It's pretty much the same just a few extra steps with that process.

Well ,to make a long story short, I got connected to the the internet. My firewall is still up and completely protecting both computers (Zone Alarm Pro rocks!!) I can download through it, no problems, to the ME computer. I did a test that you can do at www.grc.com called SHEILDS UP that will do a complete private test on your computer. VERY COOL!! Check it out.

I hope someone will find this as helpful as i did. And thank you to all the great people that work and surf this site, without you, this place would not be possible to receive so much helpful information. Keep up the great work!!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yeah, NAT is nice on 2000 server. I have used it in the past but I still dont like directly connecting a server to the internet. Even if you have a software firewall. It just scares me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!