1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2000 NT Pro is whacked, help please.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kdh344, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdh344

kdh344 Thread Starter

i just got my desktop back after a year of sitting (no, i cant afford to buy a new one) and now i cant remember the password to log on. the OS is 2000 NT Pro which was installed JUST before the power supply went out-which is why its been sitting. the friend who installed it chagned my pass and also doesnt remember what it was/is. anyway, from my laptop, i made all the suggested boot discs to recover the password/s BUT it wont boot from anywhere but the standard mode. even when i get into safe mode, the log on box still pops up and asks for a pass. i am NOT compuer inclined at all ( i have to call tech support when i check my email, lol) so please make your replies in very simple, non-technical language. i assume this is the admin pass b/c even using "administrator" and "msg2000" (these are what my friend uses when she re-installs OS)doesnt get me in. is there a way to get into my computer w/o wiping it clean and re-installing the OS?

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

There is a boot floppy called Offline NT password and registry editor.

You can get it here:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It essentially is Linux on a floppy that allows the user to access the Sam file in Widows and change the Administrator password to 'blank'
    It won't help, however, if there is a corrupted Sam file.

3. kdh344

kdh344 Thread Starter

humm, that url looks familiar. do you put the disc in and then turn on the computer? if so, that didnt work, my cd driver didnt even recoginize ther was a disc. the cd driver is brand new too.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Check your bios boot order and ensure floppy or CD is set to boot before HDD.

5. kdh344

kdh344 Thread Starter

ok, how? i know NOTHING about computers so easy language please. thx

6. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

7. kdh344

kdh344 Thread Starter

1 rob.i tried this last nitebut my computer WOULD NOT boot from the cd or any other driver. even attmepting to boot in safe mode, the box pops up asking for the password. &*$#

8. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

You must do this before trying to boot from cd!!

as your pc is booting up, by pressing either delete, f2 or f5 (may be different on some systems) you will boot into the bios, (setup). go to the 'advanced' or 'boot' tab, & alter the boot sequence to cd/dvd as first & ide0 (or the name of your hd) as second.
    save & exit.
    As the pc restarts press a key to boot from cd rom when prompted.

If you are lucky, just before the pc finishes its post, by pressing either f2, f5, or f8, you will be given a boot menu, you can choose cdrom from here. This will save you having to change the boot sequence in the bios.

9. kdh344

kdh344 Thread Starter

ok, as it was booting up i pressed f8 to enter set up. it gave me a list of things to choose from ie- boot from cd, debugging, normal boot, safe mode, etc. i chose cd and pressed enter. the log in screen immediately poped up and asked for my pass. i couldnt even get into the cd boot mode w/o it asking for my pass. i tried every option listed there and they all were the same in that it asked for my pass.

10. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Have you tried booting into the bios? (instructions in my last post)

11. Rache

Rache Banned

F8 gives you operating options - you need to enter setup (bios). It'll tell you which key on 1st black screen. (mine is delete). When you get into bios use pageup/down keys to navigate, enter to ok an action and Esc to exit. Make sure you save settings after changing from IDE0 to cd-rom as 1st boot up device.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice