1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2000 printer with xp client

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zenubio, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zenubio

zenubio Thread Starter

I've got a windows 2000 machine with a color laserjet attached to it via a parallel port. The 2000 machine is part of a windows domain, and is shared out properly.

I've got other windows 2000 clients that can connect to the printer no problem.

I'm having difficulty with win xp machines installing this printer.

I get the following error message... "windows cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."

I restarted both machines, and they both seem to have a valid internet connection. I ping both machines both ways, so they can physically communication with eachother.

I thought it might be that I had simple sharing enabled on the xp machine but that didn't seem to fix it.

Again this works fine with other windows 2000 machines. As far as networking goes, they are on the same switch.

HELP!!!!

2. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

Zenubio,
    I have been running the same difficulty with my HP 2200 Laser Printer. I've narrowed it down to driver difficulties. You can try loading additional drivers in the printer properties section. Try adding XP/ 2000 drivers, but make sure you have them from the manufacturers website and placed on your hard drive. Sorry I can't be more specific, until I find the solution.

3. zenubio

zenubio Thread Starter

actually I restarted the computer (after having turned off simple sharing) and I was able to map it.

Sometimes microsoft network is weird. for example if you open windows explorer and type \\computer name\share name (without mapping the drive) it will spit back error messages. But if you just type in \\computer name hit enter
    then type \\computer name\share it works

also sometimes 2000 doesn't like it when you map different drives with the same user with different shares

sometimes it's case sensative when it shouldn't be!

it sucks, but windows is the easiest to work with

I've got an old novell server and it has been the thorn in my side trying to run a novell server with windows clients.

4. Ekozlovich

Ekozlovich

Zen,

I take it you have a peer to peer network at home, you have a printer off of a 2000 machine, and can print to the printer from other 2000 machines ok Just not the XP machine.

So you must have your sharing set up ok if you can print from other 2000 machines.

Did you check your XP network card to make sure that you have a protocal called Netbuei. You can find the instructions here on this site or help on Microsoft.

I recently had the same problem with my XP machine and turns out that XP does not have the protocol installed. It is on the CD and you have to copy the files over from the cd to Windows directory and windows32, like I said if you do a search on this site you will find the directions.

I also went through my nic card to make sure that all the right settings were correct. When I installed the printer I let the add a printer look for it on the network. I also had SNMP that wasnt checked off that made a difference on my setup this was also on my nic card settings. It sounds as if your nic card is not set up right.

I have found all the info I needed just by doing searches on this site.

good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice