1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2000 Server -> 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ukboy, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ukboy

ukboy Thread Starter

hi, on my other computer i am trying to reformat the drive and install windows server 2003 however when i type in format c: i am told the volume is in use and i am unable to lock it, so i really dont know what to do? any help would be great ta

2. ratchet

ratchet

For stubborn drives I use delpart.exe . Just copy the .exe to a boot disk.

3. wedor

wedor

Why don't use just use the drive preparation that comes with 2003 on the CD? The set-up let's you delete any current partitions and format them as needed.

What are you using to try to use the format command, a boot disk?

4. ukboy

ukboy Thread Starter

Thanks, well the cd drive on this computer is non bootable and so i had to use a floppy disk, and none of the newer computers have floppy drives so i had to go out and buy an external drive and download a bootdisk onto that, i found a good single disk which had a generic cd-rom driver and so then i was able to install 2003 server. from this site http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice