1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2000 Server continuously reboots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cogitops, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cogitops

cogitops Thread Starter

I have a windows 2000 server that continuously reboots after the the startuping up window bars finish.

Tried F8 safemode ( samething)
    tried last known good (samething)

System was upgraded well over a year ago from NT 4 where the C: Fat boot partition.

It runs sp3

Its on a consildated server that has no cdroms.

Could it be a hardware issue ? Bios setting misconfigured?

And there are no Blue screens of death when the reboot happens...

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If ACPI was enabled or disabled in the bios when win2k was installed, and changed later, it would exhibit that kind of symptom..

3. cogitops

cogitops Thread Starter

Thanks...I know all bios are different but generally where would it be listed as ( the name)

4. cogitops

cogitops Thread Starter

It was (acpi) disabled ,so I enabled it and it still rebooted. after starting up

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'd download a memory checker and rule out any bad sticks of memory. http://www.simmtester.com/

You'll have to make a bootdisk to check it with..

6. cogitops

cogitops Thread Starter

I'll try simmtester ... This is my brother's system... Its a consildated server .... with four other machines using a properiety raid 7 .

I know that this server video card is bad so when he wants to access the server he would generally terminal server in. When he wants to log in locally he shutsdown one of the other servers and borrows the video card.

He said he was trying to upgrade to sp4 and this issue occurred. He probably tried the install remotely without having a video card in his agp slot . when the 2k ask for him to reboot then this issue occurred.

7. cogitops

cogitops Thread Starter

looks like memory passed the test

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Maybe the vid card is the culpret, I'm at a loss.

9. cogitops

cogitops Thread Starter

I'm at a lost too because the video card is swap from another machine...i don't think tocards would be bad ... any other sites to look at ?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice