1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2000 won't reboot, cold boot only

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by markv68, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markv68

markv68 Thread Starter

After cleaning out my heat sink and removing dust, I can no longer access my BIOS as the reboot hangs when I press the DEL key to access BIOS. If I let the system stay off 30 secs, it will cold boot just fine. But it will not reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del or reset, or by restart in shutdown. I could do all of these prior to fixing my random shutdown issue which is now solved. I am really concerned about not being able to access BIOS. Any ideas? Did I knock a cable loose?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well could be. You need to reseat every plug and cable inside tower. Gently push down on any pci cards also,

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When you cleaned this out did you take the heat sink off the processor? If you did there was either a white substance that is supposed to be there it is called silicone heat sink compound or there might be what looks like a little square paper area that looks like paper that is pulled apart, this is also special heat sink material that is used for heat transfer.

Removal of this material no matter what it looks like could cause permanent damage to your processor, also taking the heat sink off the processor could crack the processor.

4. markv68

markv68 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I gently reseated each cable and connection. I never did take off the heat sink or fan. I can now get to the BIOS and it restarts just fine. It's great to be able to talk it through with somebody with more experience. Thanks again. Mark.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice