1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2003 to 2012 server AD migration

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by sg4tech, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sg4tech

sg4tech Thread Starter

Hi All,

I had a 2003 server as Domain Controller with 40+ users, What I need is to migrate to 2012 with existing AD users. So I have made a new 2012 server and AD users migrated in that, (just like Additional Domain Controller).

Now my problem is when I want to transfer FMSO roles, like trying to change "infrastructure Operation Master" in Active Directory Users and Computers Console, option for the new server is not there to select, only old 2003 server option is there in RID/PDC/Infrastructure.

How to Add my new server there in RID/PDC/Infrastructure. Also in MMC , Add Remove Snap in, Active Directory Schema option is not there.

Please help me migrate my 2003 to 2012 with active AD.

Thanks
    SG

2. srhoades

srhoades

3. sg4tech

sg4tech Thread Starter

Hi, I did changed the 2003 domain controller forest functional level to 2003 and also in 2012 domain controller forest functional showing as 2003, but in the "Active Directory Domains and Trust Console" when I am searching for "Change Active Directory Domain Controller" 2012 AD server showing "unavailable"

4. sg4tech

sg4tech Thread Starter

All the FMSO role transferred to new DC now. At this time when I am trying to test the new DC, after switching off the old DC,
    users unable to login and also in new server, no network sign appearing. dont know what to do ..

5. srhoades

srhoades

Did you modify whatever is handling DHCP to give out the new server as the primary DNS server?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice