1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2007 MS Word Blank Template malfunction

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sandra.hall, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandra.hall

sandra.hall Thread Starter

How can I rectify changes I mistakenly made on the MSOffice 2007 Word blank template. I have already reinstalled the whole Office program hoping the opening blank document would revert to its original template format. I have literally spent hours attempting to reverse the process, but with no success. By changing the oringinal I've saved a useless template that mimics the wrong blank document every timeit opens. I've run MS Office Diagnostics, (no help), I have no idea how I saved it as the normal template.
    I feel it has something to do with the new, bright and very Large text Styles that I just had to play with.
    The changes are: On opening new document it has eight paragraph marks down the page and, the final insult, each new document when opened is named Document4.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

I don't mean to laugh but reinstalling Word would not have changed your settings. They aren't stored in the application directory. (If you created a new account, that account would have had the default Word Settings.) In other words, restoring Word's settings is very easy.

Find the normal.dotx file and delete it. That's it. Word will recreate the file with the defaults the very next time you open it.

If you just want to make changes, click on the question mark in the top right corner and search for "reset to default." Look for modifying the normal.dotx file.

Courtney sends.....

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

You can also find the path to your template file by clicking TOOLS --> OPTIONS --> FILE LOCATIONS and then highlight User Templates and click modify to show the template folder path. Navigate to the directory in Windows Explorer and delete Normal.dot which is the template Word uses. As already stated in the previous post, when you re-open Word it will be re-created.

The directory and/or files are hidden so make sure to enable viewing of hidden files and folders in Windows explorer (TOOLS --> FOLDER OPTIONS --> VIEW --> SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS)

Regards,
    Rollin

4. sandra.hall

Thankyou for your post. Could you please explain even a little more clearly for this junior how I'm to find normal.dotx or from where I enter Tools. I hope my enquiries don't exasperate.
    I have contacted the computer business who built my computer and I have chosen to take it there to rectify problems I am encountering but I would prefer the assistance and learning opportunity from Techguys to fix my own challenges .

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

1. Double click on My Computer icon on the desktop.

2. Click on the Tools menu in the top menu bar.

3. Click on Folder Options...

4. Click on the View Tab

5. Select "Show hidden files and folders" (in the Advanced Settings box)

6. Click OK.

7. Double click on Local Disk C:

8. Double click on the Documents and Settings folder

9. Double click on the folder with your Windows user name

10. Double click on Application Data.

11. Double click on the Microsoft folder.

12. Double click on the Templates folder.

13. Right click on the Normal.dot file and delete it

If your template is not found in this location click on the WINDOWS START button (in the bottom left corner of the screen) and then select "SEARCH" Next select the option to search "ALL FILES AND FOLDERS" and then type Normal.dot in the filename field.

NOTE: Make sure to cick the advanced options link on the search box and select the option to "SEARCH HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS." Click search and when the file Normal.dot is found delete it.

Regards,
    Rollin

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Just to clarify, Rollin is pretty much on target, but since you have Office 2007, the file will be Normal.dotx, as Courtney pointed out.
    Also, if you need to search in Vista, the search bar is right there when you click on the start button - no need to click on a second search button, as you do in XP (and all previous versions).

7. sandra.hall

I appreciate all assistance. Whatever actions I have taken are beyond my abilities to rectify even with all your help. I will discuss with technician. I'm sure I will have other enquiries and look forward to your responses.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice