1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2007 Office Student & Teacher Install Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MowermanEd, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MowermanEd

MowermanEd Thread Starter

My daughter wants to get Office 07 S&T edition. The 2003 edition of S&T is availible with a "free" upgrade to the 2007 S&T version. Because the 07 version does not contain Outlook, she will want to keep the 03 version of Outlook on her computer when we install the 07 upgrade version? Can this be done, or does the 07 upgrade invalidate the 03 version when installed? Her OS is Vista HP.

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Good question. :)

I think it should work but you never know.]

Download a trial and see.

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

It should work. When you install the 2007, ensure you do a Custom install and specify that you wish to keep the old applications. There are some minor issues with keeping 2003 and 2007 on the same OS (i.e. the new extensions, Personal.xls/xlsb, etc) but nothing that isn't worked around. I have the same setup.

The difference with Outlook (as opposed to other applications in the suite), Office generally only allows one version of Outlook per OS. So if you got the Standard or Professional edition of 2007 which comes with Outlook, it would replace the 2003 version. Under a 'normal' installation, Outlook 2007 will retain the same PST files and settings as the 2003 version installed before it.

Note that a standard install will replace the existing version(s), so you must specify this in the Custom option of install.

HTH

4. MowermanEd

firefytr,

I don't think you understand. The 07 version doesn't have Outlook. And because
    she'll be getting the free upgrade version of 07 I was afraid the install might invalidate the 03 install of Outlook. She doesn't care about the 03 Word, Excell etc, just the ability to keep the 03 Outlook which isn't included in the 07 version.

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Maybe I worded it badly. Apologies. If the previous install is valid, there should not be a problem.

6. MowermanEd

Thanks for the quick reply! I ordered from newegg so she should get it by Wed and then have to wait 4 6 weeks for the free upgrade to the 07 version. Once that arrives I let you all know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice