1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2011 IMac screen goes black at random

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Vander1032, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vander1032

Vander1032 Thread Starter

I have no idea if this is a hardware or a software problem, but I'm clearly out of my depth here now.

It started slowly. It happened once when I tried dimming the brightness. The screen went black, but I could still hear the youtube video I was playing in the background, so everything was still on. It didn't happen for a while, but then it happened again, then it became a daily thing, now it's happening more frequently, up to every hour.

I reinstalled OS. I didn't know what else to do, but that generally solves most issues, and I hadn't done it in a while, so I went with it. It didn't fix the problem, as it just happened again as I was typing this. The fact that a reinstall didn't help makes me lean more towards this being a hardware issue, which kinda freaks me out.

Let me know what you think I should do and I am thankful for any and all help I can get. Thanks.

EDIT: It has gotten worse. The screen shuts off within minutes of me starting up the computer. It has become unusable now, and it's impacting my work. I'm terrified that it's a heating issue, but I felt it the last time it shut down, and as it had been off for hours, it was still pretty cool to the touch. I have no idea what's going on. Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 9, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice