1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2016 Outlook won't open 2007 .pst file

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sgarcata, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgarcata

sgarcata Thread Starter

I just installed 2016 MS Office. Previously I used 2007. The new Outlook client won't open my .pst file. I'f run ScanPST against it twice. Is there some sort of converstion app that is needed for 2016 outlook to read the old .pst file? Any other ideas of what I can do to recover this email file?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have always imported my old pst file into the new one that is created when Outlook is installed and set up.

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

2016 is backward-compatible for opening PST files created in 2007. How are you trying to open it within Outlook? One possibility is the PST file has corruption in it, if you can't get it to open. However, we can cross that bridge if we come to it.

4. sgarcata

sgarcata Thread Starter

lochlomonder - after 2016 MS Office was installed, I just started up Outlook. It seemed to inherit where the pst file was because it never asked. I keep in on another partition, not in the normal place. I do think it was corrupted. A few years ago a tech support person tried to convert from POP3 to IMAP and pretty roundly screwed it up. It has been functional but limping ever since.

5. sgarcata

sgarcata Thread Starter

for some reason it knew where to find it even though I uninstalled 2007 MS Word previously. I would have preferred it create a new blank pst file that I then could import into, but it just went ahead and grabbed the existing one.

6. sgarcata

sgarcata Thread Starter

UPDATE:
    I still had MS Office 2007 on a laptop I haven't used in a while. I moved the pst file over there and it opens just fine. It is huge... 14 GB - maybe it exceeds the limit? I wouldn't mind starting fresh with the new 2016 Office Outlook install, but not sure how to force it to make a new one.

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If I'm not much mistaken? The procedure is much the same in 2016 as in 2013, which is what I have.

You open Control Panel. Click on Mail, Data Files and then add one. Close it again. Reopen it. Then select the newly created file as the default. After that you should be able to remove the old file from the list. You may have to close and reopen again, before you delete.

If in Outlook, then you click on File, Account Settings, Account Settings once again. Data files and do essentially the same thing as above.

TheMadEye likes this.
  8. TheMadEye

TheMadEye

I had suspect the format gap. I have heard that old Outlook emails were often in AScii coding, while the new ones are in UNICODE. maybe exporting the emails with some intermediate version like 2011/2013 could have helped. Just guessing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice