1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

21 die in Chicago club stampede

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Feb 17, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

What a terrible tragedy! angel

ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHICAGO, Feb. 17 — Hundreds of people stormed the exits of a crowded Chicago night club after a disturbance broke out early Monday, killing at least 21 people, police said. Several were injured in the melee, including some critically.

"EVERYYBODY SMASHED; people crying, couldn’t breathe,” said clubgoer Reggie Clark. “Two ladies next to me died. A guy under me passed out.”

There were more than 1,500 people in the two-story Epitome Night Club on Chicago’s Southside when someone released pepper spray or Mace into the air some time after 2 a.m., Fire Commander Will Knight said.

“It appears a disturbance from within led to a mass chaos where people headed for the door. Most of the fatalities appear to have been crushed or had injuries due to suffocation,” said police Officer Ozzie Rodriguez.

At least 21 people were confirmed dead, Chicago Police spokesman Pat Camden said.

‘A MOUND OF PEOPLE’

Cory Thomas, 33, of Chicago went to the club about 3 a.m. to pick up two friends. As he waited outside, he saw people inside the club start to back up against the glass front door.

“You could see a mound of people. People were stacking on top of each other, screaming and gagging, I guess from the pepper spray. The door got blocked because there were too many people stacked up against it,” he said.

“I saw them taking out a pregnant woman,” Thomas said. “She was in bad shape. I saw at least 10 lifeless bodies.”

Knight said the total number of injuries was unclear because many of those with minor injuries were being taken to hospitals by family and friends.

The melee marks one of the nation’s deadliest stampedes.

In December 1991, nine young people were crushed to death in a gymnasium stairwell while awaiting a celebrity basketball game in New York.

In December 1979, 11 people were killed in Cincinnati in a crush to get into a concert by The Who.

© 2003 Associated Press

2. Rockn

Rockn

LOL....a stamped in Chicago, meat packing capital of the world. How ironic!! They were probably under the impression that there was a terrorist attack because of all the media hype and the panic by the sheep of the world to run out and get gas masks, plastic sheeting and duct tape.

3. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

I bet yer right rockn! :rolleyes:
    Could you imagine being crushed to death? yikesssssss :eek:

4. $teve

$teve

terrible............and i bet not one had duct tape on them.

5. belenus

belenus

Maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive here, but I didn't read anything in the report in the first post that warranted laughter. I would imagine it was a pretty horrific experience, and so many dying makes it even more so. No, nothing funny in that at all. But, as angel said, a terrible tragedy.

6. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

belenus: I've been watching the news briefing and it is indeed a terrible tragedy. And I'm sure it was a horrible way to die. I feel so sorry for those who died....just out for a night of fun and now their lives are gone in an instant. You just never know when your time will be up and have to make the best of each moment you're granted life. I don't make light of such incidents. Some day a victim of tragedies such as this could be someone we know, God forbid. I applaud you on your honesty. Take care. angel

7. Rockn

Rockn

I was laughing at the irony in Agel's choice of words for the title of her post if you didn't notice. I would never diminish the fact that there were people who died, but if you can't see humor or light in the dark you will drive yourself nuts worrying about what is going on in the world. If you will look back at all of the examples listed in her original post I am sure most of them were casued not by panic, but stupidity (The Who) and I am sure the basketball game incident was similar. The Who incident was the end of open or general admission seating for major events. I am curious how many other incidents like this don't get reported because there aren't large numbers of fatalities.

8. deuce

deuce

Does anyone know if there is a list of the dead out there? Not likely it would affect me, but my family is all out there and I have many friends there..............you can never be too sure ;).................I hope I didn't know anybody that was there. :(

9. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Call me callous but I don't care any more.

A stampede in Chicago is a localized event. This is an international site. There are people dying all over the world every minute of the day, for any reason you could imagine. Need we have them all listed here? I don't see the point. With all due respect to the deceased in Chicago, their brand of suffering and death is no more important than any others. Their deaths, though tragic and wasteful, cannot mean anything to anybody other than their friends or families.

10. belenus

belenus

deuce, I really hope none of your family and friends were involved in this tragedy. My thoughts will be with you as you wait for news.

Rockn, I can only assume there is some news report that I haven't seen, or some difference in our cultures; but I can't see it. Probably best if we agree to disagree.

Yep, pyritechips, you're callous. Going by the timing of the posts, deuce's post must have been there when you made yours. I can't believe that you've followed someone's concerns about whether their family and friends could have been affected by this with, "I don't care". As you said, this is an international board; which means members have been drawn from all over, including Chicago. Some of the members of this community could quite possibly be dead. It would have been better if you'd just ignored the thread, rather than say you don't care.

It would have probably been better if I, too, had ignored the thread. I don't usually get involved in any contentious issues; I have enough to cope with in real life without deliberately adding to the burden. But, quite frankly, I've been shocked by the reaction to this tragedy.

11. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Oh come on! Do you really believe that the good peopple of Chicago don't already have this tragedy plastered all over their TVs, radios and newspapers? Do you really believe that the people of that city have no news media and their only source of local news is TSG Random?

Get real.

12. belenus

belenus

No, I don't believe that for one minute; but I must be thick or something, because I don't see what relevance it has either.

13. deuce

deuce

You're aboslutely right............and there should be no list posted.......I was only curious if anyone knew of a list I could access anywhere. But I agree with you.....................thousands are dying all over the world each day.

14. Rockn

Rockn

Pyrite is a tree hugging hippie that doesn't care. The only thing he cares about are global international incidents that relate directly to him and his little universe.....He is a walking contradiction.

Belenus, I guess there is no such thing as irony or sarcasm there in bloody old England. What if there were someone from this forum that would have died in this incident? There would be nothing that could be done about it, we would all console each other and life would continue on.

15. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Isn't "global international incidents" and "his little universe" a contradiction?

To say I don't care is only partially right. I can't care about peopled I didn't know and never had any contact with. What I also don't care for is phoney caring that allows us to seem sensitive and noble. I posted a test thread at the time of the shuttle tragedy in which I pasted a news article concerning skiers near to my hometown that were killed in an avalanche. While nearly everybody was all distraught about the astronauts beling killed, and rightfully so, hardly anybody cared or posted about the skiers. The whole exercise demonstrated to me that "big" news stories are more entertainment than actual news.

I am also neither a tree hugger nor a hippie so please keep your labels to yourself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice