Solved 2242 NVMe Drive not recognized by Direkt-Tek DTLAPY 133-1

LinxSupport

First, I apologize if this post is in the wrong place. If it is, please move this thread to the proper place.

Second, I have seen that there is one question about this exact laptop model and NVMe drives, however, it has been marked closed without any verification to what drive was used and if any extra steps had to be taken in order for the drive to be used.

With that said, I am trying to upgrade my Direkt-Tek DTLAPY 133-1 laptop with a 512GB Western Digital SN520 NVMe M.2 Drive (Model Number: SDAPMUW-512G). I have verified it supports NVMe drives by confirming the slot type and searching online where I found 2 users who have done this upgrade. No information is given in the manual (that I could find) as to what drives work, aside from a maximum of 512 GB drive is supported.

Windows 10, BIOS, Acronis Boot Image and my Windows installation media (a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16 GB USB 3.0) refuse to recognize the NVMe drive is even inserted.

Is there something I am missing?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200530190009.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3350 @ 1.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Hard Drives: C: 28 GB (10 GB Free);
Motherboard: DEFAULT_STRING DEFAULT_STRING, ver To be filled by O.E.M., s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Last edited:

Oddba11

Jim
Ensure that you have the latest BIOS version. Aside from that, you likely just need a different brand/model.

Laptops seem to be especially finicky with drive support. So while it may be the correct type of drive, it could just be an incompatibility between the BIOS and drive.

LinxSupport

So with a compatible drive, it should automatically be recognized in Windows and the BIOS without changes to BIOS settings?

LinxSupport

Also, there is no BIOS downloads available from Driekt-Tek's website so I assume updates do not exist

LinxSupport

After getting off the phone with SanDisk tech support my MB has to support PCIe Gen 3. I went through the BIOS and the only options I have for PCI speeds are Gen 1 and Gen 2. I think it is simply incompatable.

LinxSupport

The slots for PCIe SATA and NVMe are different. I don't remember which one is which but look up M.2 M, B, and B + M keys. Those connector types determine the settings the drive will run in.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
But standard M.2 SSD drives have both B+M keys and can be used in both B or M keyed M.2 slots.

LinxSupport

And an M.2 SSD (NOT NVme) would work on a slot for PCIe Gen 1 and Gen 2? My main goal is storage. If there is a performance boost I would not be opposed.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can't tell you if it will work on your particular laptop, it depends on exactly what type of M.2 socket you have and if the Bios is designed to 'see' that type of drive. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

LinxSupport

Got it. Well, I just got off the phone with Direkt-Tek's customer service and they just informed me that, dispite BIOS saying NVMe is supported at Gen 1 and Gen 2 speeds, the slot was designed to be used with an M.2 SSD instead. So I am going to order one and post what happens.

Thank you everybody for your help so far!

LinxSupport

Thank you to everybody who has replied! I recieved and installed the drive last night and it works perfectly! No need for any extra drivers and no BIOS adjustment, just plug-n-play :)

For anybody else trying to do the same thing, any "M.2 NGFF" drive should work given it is 512 GB or less. The one I am using is the Transcend 430S 512GB M.2 SSD. I am using it as the boot drive for Windows 10. I hope this helps somebody!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online