1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

24 pin MOBO Issue...PLEEEEEEEESE Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DWF_72, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DWF_72

DWF_72 Thread Starter

:confused:

OK I am sure I will leave something out but here it goes. I have built many computers (Over 40) with barely any issues. But of course, now I decide to built myself a new computer and I have issues.

Here are the parts

3.4 P4 550 CPU
    Corsair VS1GBKIT533D2 1GB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200 Value Select Memory
    80 gig SATA Maxtor Hard Drive
    Lite On DVD Drive and Dual Layer Burner
    Floppy
    Asus ATI x300 128mb card (I will upgrade later)
    Aspire Navigator X Case with stock 450 PS

and finally the part giving me the issues
    Asus P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard

I plug everything up and WOW the computer does not turn on. I unhooked everything except for the 2 power plugs (20 pin ATX & 4 Pin 12v), the PW switch on the case and motherboard, CPU and it still does not work. My PS has got the 20 pin ATX connector of course and the MB the 24 pin. In the Asus book it states "When using an ATX 12 V PSU with a 20 pin power plug, make sure that it can provide at least 15 A on the +12 V lead, and the minimum power of 350W. Use of a ATX 12V PSU with a 20 pin power plug is not recommended". That is word for word out of the book. At work, I am a Network and Help Desk Administrator and so I made sure to narrow it down to the Motherboard. I tested the power supply with a 20 pin MB and it worked fine. I thought it might be the switch on the case, I tried it out on another motherboard it worked fine. The only thing I get when I leave the top 4 pins empty on the motherboard is the Power LED on the motherboard comes on. Now after all of this explaining, could it be that my crappy stock Turbo Link PS is not got enough Amps running to the +12v lead like the book says? If I went and got like for instance the Antec True550 PS with the 24 pin connector, would that more than likely solve the issue? I have never dealt with a 24 pin MB so this is new to me. I know someone out there can help me because the only other 2 times when I had an issue, I came here and it was resolved.

Thank you for your time and I am sorry this post was so long.

DWF

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

I'd go with a better powersupply regardless, will cause you fewer problems in the long run.

3. DWF_72

DWF_72 Thread Starter

I would like a new power supply but my main concern is if new ps sounds like it might fix the issue? Could the motherboard be bad? I don't think it is but it has yet to power on. Of course, I have only used a 20 pin ps on it. The only way I know that it is getting some sort of power is because the power led light is "ON" when I hook up the power.

DWF

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

You need the ATX Spec 2.0 24 pin power supply for that board.

5. DWF_72

DWF_72 Thread Starter

SacsTC have you worked with this particular board? If not, has anyone else on here? BTW, I bought the Antec 550W PS with the 24 pin ATX connector. I have heard that it is a pretty good PS. I should receive it on Friday. Hopefully it is not too much power.

DWF

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Never too much power. A system will only use what it needs, the rest is just in reserve, like horsepower in a car.

7. SacsTC

SacsTC

Not that particular board, but have put out others with the 24 pin spec. So far, none of them worked properly without the Spec 2.0 PS

8. DWF_72

DWF_72 Thread Starter

After a lot of testing, the final conclusion is my motherboard is bad. I am unfortunately going to have to RMA the board by to ZipZoomFly. Even with my brand new power supply the board will not boot up. I tested the board with 2 computer cases to make sure it was not the power switch on the case that was causing the problem. The board will not power up with either case. I thought it might be the CPU or the heatsink fan but I hooked up the CPU and heatsink and fan on another motherboard and they worked fine. I get the green led light to come on on the MB but that is it. When I was boxing everything back up to ship it back, I noticed that there was a big puncture hole on the underside of the MB box. This made me examine the the bottom of the MB. Right around where the puncture hole was located on the box there is a dark discolored spot about the size of a golf ball on the board. I am guessing this is what is causing all of my problems with it not working. This sucks.....now I have to wait for a RMA number and then send it back and then wait even longer to receive a new one. Out of like 40 PCs it figures that the first time I have to send something back for being defective it is my own computer. Oh well, I guess I will just sit and wait.

DWF

9. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

I always physically examine what I am about to buy. I almost had a similar incident happen to me. The northbridge was missing from the board altogether! :eek: It sure saved me a lot of hassle.

10. DWF_72

DWF_72 Thread Starter

It is hard to examine what you are about to buy when you buy it ONLINE. If I bought all of these parts around here it would have cost me an extra 2 or 300 bucks. Yes it sucks to RMA something but the money saved can be worth it I guess.

DWF

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/333700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice