1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

$25 if you can figure out why my computer keeps rebooting!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thedevilmaycry24, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thedevilmaycry24

thedevilmaycry24 Thread Starter

ok heres the scoop. About 4 or 5 months ago I built a my own PC (Ive done a few before and Im pretty computer savvy). It has been happening pretty much ever since I got it, and now its just getting very annoying. Here are the specs:

WinXP SP2 all available updates
    ECS Motherboard P4800PRO-M Pentium 4 3.0Ghz CPU Dual Core
    1GB of I believe Patriot brand memory DDR2
    Two 200GB Maxtor SATA hard drives
    Generic nvidea AGP card (used to have another brand in there, switched it out for other reasons and it was rebooting with the old card as well)
    iOne Case with 450w Power Supply

Here's a few interesting details:
    -The computer usually reboots on its own while I am running Firefox or IE. Maybe its just me, but it usually happens when I am using my scroll wheel scrolling down on a webpage, although it has happened while running other programs, and it has happened sitting completely idle. Like I will wake up in the morning to see my computer rebooted while I was asleep. I would say it happens about once a day, maybe once every 2 days. I use my computer quite often.

-I did a clean reformat and reinstalled my copy of Windows XP. On the original install when it restarted, it would bootup and I would get a message "Windows has recovered from a serious error, click here for details" It pretty much said some sort of hardware failure (MB, RAM or PS). Now when it reboots, it just restarts, no message or anything.

-I replaced the stock 450watt PS that came with it with a 600watt PS (I will admit it was an ebay special, and may not be the best brand) The 450watt that came with it was heavier and beefier. But could this still be the problem?

-I used a RAM testing program and it said my RAM was error free. But could it still be the RAM?

-Under the system properties, Startup and Recovery, Settings, I have UNCHECKED the Automatically restart (i assume when the system is going to crash I would get an error message and the BSOD).

-I have SISoft Sandra Lite installed, should I look for any abnormal behavior?

Thats about it, post up your responses, email me [email protected] or AOLIM thedevilmaycry24, ICQ 440254291, Yahoo knurmi00 If you guide me in the right direction and it fixes the problem, I will PAYPAL $25 to you. I am an honest person, check my ebay feedback milanosi99

Thanks any questions post em up!

2. thedevilmaycry24

Oh yeah, I also updated the American Megatrends Bios. It is the latest version 8.12

3. Flags

Flags

This will cost you nothing. If it fixes your problem, donate the $25 to this forum.
    I would take a very close look at your mobo to see if there are any bulging capacitors.
    Next I would invest in a quality PSU--Antec, Enermax, of at least 400W.
    Since you have tested the memory, we may be able to forget about that as the culprit, if you ran the test for an extended period of time.

Did the problem appear after you updated the BIOS?

4. chox39

chox39

I see the same thing daily. For my company...we use DELL computers. The reason ours do this is because of the CAPS. CAPS are the capacitors on the motheboard, usually black battery looking electronic thingys.

These should all be flat across the top...perfectly flat. It any of them are bulging, that would be your problem. You would normally find bad ones near the processor. As they are exposed to more heat and can go bad faster.

Who knows, really? Just putting this out there so you can check them out!

Hope this helps you, if it does, save your money for a new board

:)

5. thedevilmaycry24

I heard ECS is kinda cheap MOBO. Next time I have some free time I'll check out the caps on the MB. I know what caps are and have the tools to replace bad ones. I'll check it out. Seems like the MB is bad???

Anyone else? If this fixes it i'll donate the $25 to the forum.

6. thedevilmaycry24

Anyone know why I cannot get the BSOD? I want to get some sort of error code

7. thedevilmaycry24

Well I took a light and examined the MB. No blown capacitors to the best of my knowledge. Should I just replace the motherboard ? They are fairly cheap anyway.

8. bigbear

bigbear

Change the mobo they are crap
    Go for Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, or DFI

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree ECS is real junk

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice