1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

250 bucks to burn, which mobo/proc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ih8tmycmptr, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ih8tmycmptr

ih8tmycmptr Thread Starter

hey all,
    id like your addvice on some thing. I need to buy a new mobo and processor, i have about 250 bucks, im kinda parshall to AMD for procs,
    any advice or tips? id apreciate it
    -j

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here are a bunch of "bundles" that include the CPU. You should be sure the new board has more than enough slots (PCI---forget ISA, since MS wants those phased out and they are slow), and upgradability (get a board that supports at least 1 gig of memory and faster CPU's in case you decide to upgrade in 2-3 years and don't want to shop for a new mb that soon):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=14

This is a good deal that includes fan, memory, and processor for $100:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=713503&Sku=S450-2035 C

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually I would not get anything less than an Xp2500+ for the processor. It is actually a preferred processor for overclocking.

Tiger Direct may seem to offer some good deals, but they ship slow and charge high for shipping and handling. At Newegg you can most times get free FedEx supersaver that takes about 3 to 4 days to arrive. And the support at Newegg is better.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

My experiences with TD have been good ones. Shipping was in the 2-3 day range. Support was slow but they stuck with me until all was taken care of. Paid less attention to the shipping charges than I should have, I guess.

No experience with NewEgg, but the next time I'm looking, I'll keep your recommendation in mind.

In any case, if the deal is good enough, shipping is just a small part.

I have no experience with the 2500+, but many AMD processors have locked out access to the multiplier. Regaining access is difficult and required me to drill small holes in my processor and fill it with conductive putty, as well as more holes to break some traces.

The long and short of it----check the specs and bbs postings to see if the multiplier is accessible if you plan on over-clocking.

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

ih8tmycmptr: What about memory? Newer mobos are going to use at least PC2700 or PC3200. Nothing less is worth using. What brand case and power supply will you be using? What version of Windows?

8. ih8tmycmptr

the case is a ANTEC full sized server type and the powersupply is ANTEC 350w
    as for OS i was running 2000 server but im thinkn about starting over from scrach and put in XP
    is xp faster? ill admit iv been reluctent to switch over to xp, i just hate the look, iv heard that there is a way to make the GUI (?) look like win2000 but im not shur
    --also--- thanx to all of your replys im checking out the sites now and such, i apretiate your help-j

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Overall, the answer would be "no".

But it is the newest OS (except for Server 2003) and has support for many new things. It supports large drives and USB2 natively, for example. All the newest software is written for it.

And you can make it look like Win2000 if you want. In fact, getting rid of all the "eye candy" makes it run faster.

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

From previous post:

"Overall, the answer would be "no"."

If you switch to XP, get the Pro version. Then go to one of the many XP tweak sites and turn off all the bloat crap that contributes so greatly to the slowness of the software. You can change the looks to "classic" and lose the messed up XP look. You still never answered about the RAM. You will need 512MB minimum for XP to get reasonable performance. Are you planning on using server memory (ECC)? Just wondered since the case and software were for server usage (definitely not the power supply).

11. ih8tmycmptr

hey stilllearnin
    no this box isnt a server or anything, i got the huge case so i could cram more stuff in it, and as for the OS, i was using it just as an experiment to check it out.
    as for ram i plan on getting as much as i can afford, so that would depend on how much cash i have at the time
    thanx-j

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!