1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

250 GB external

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by QBA, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Hi all :)

I'm runing Windows XP Pro and I'm using an external USB 2 case with a WD 250 GB HD ( WD2500JB ).

I formated the HD as NTFS and Windows can find it both as an IDE and as a external HD, but once I created partitions on it Windows can find it as a IDE again but not as the a external HD, Windows XP knows there is a USB device connected but it doesn't display the harddrive or it's partitions on my computer, Partition Magic 8 or DiskManagment under Control Panel/Computer Managment.

I tried this as FAT 32 and then as NTFS and in both I got the same results. Windows can find it as a IDE and as a external with not partitions but once particioned Windows can only find it as a IDE.

What can I do guys?

Thanks

Alex

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    sounds like etheir the drivers are not installed properly, which which case you should find updated drivers, or the BIOS cannot handle more than your current capacity. What other drives do you have (internal and external)

3. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Check to see if you have this registry setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
    "EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No drivers are required for USB mass storage with ME/2K/XP, so the installation may be damaged in some way.

I'm not clear on the IDE or External you're saying, can you see the logical drives at all on the drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice