1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

250 Gb. HD has net capacity of only 228 Gb!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwilmot, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new DELL computer with a 250 GB. Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM). However, in checking it out, under Properties, in My Computer, it shows as having only 228 GB. capacity. How do you account for the 22 GB. loss?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    good article Candy.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Also, Dell has stolen a few gigabytes for their "recovery" partition. A 250gig manufacturer gigabyte drive is really 232.83 real gigabytes. The Dell recovery partition is usually 4-5gigs, which would account for the rest.

5. ~Candy~

Good point John, I'd forgotten about that silly Dell partition :D

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I just tangled with a Dell several weeks back, so it's fresh in my mind. :D

7. ~Candy~

We have one here, so I should have remembered that too ;) I'll blame it on the Sudafed I was taking yesterday :D

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I own a dell Laptop. I got rid of the dell recovery partition completely. Luckily my laptop is new enough that all the drivers needed are available free from Dell. There was nothing on the Dell laptop that I could not live with out. So I didn't think more than a second about repartitioning the drive and installing WinXP Home clean. Gained back 8 Gig that way.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice