1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

250 gb Sata Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DBoogie, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

I just upgraded my 80 gb ide hard drive to 250 gb Sata drive. OK I knew I couldn't use the IDE cable with the original ide drive, so I bought the ide to Sata adapter. Now when powering up the PC BIOS tells me no ide drive detected to install windows. How do I solve this problem? Frustrated!

2. dai

dai

is it listed under the sata listing in the bios

3. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

It doesn't list it there but just to make sure, what would be the procedure, sorry not to good at programming.

4. VimmRa

VimmRa Banned

What kind of adapter did you purchase? If you want to boot from a SATA drive but your computer doesn't have SATA ports, you likely need a SATA controller card. A simple adapter won't work.

5. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

Its an IDE to Sata adapter that has the Sata port to fit in the hard drive Sata port on the other side it has the IDE port for the an IDE /pata port for an SCSI cable. Can't remember brand not with the unit at the moment.

6. VimmRa

VimmRa Banned

7. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

HDE IDE to SATA or SATA to IDE Adapter

8. VimmRa

VimmRa Banned

Is that a question? If it is, you don't need either. You need a SATA controller card. It plugs into a slot on your motherboard, and you connect the SATA drive to it. You don't connect anything to an IDE port.

9. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

I understand now lots of help. U r a pain reliever! Thanks again. P.S. look out for my update.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would add that some controller cards are NOT bootable; most are however not all. Make sure you check the specs of whatever controller card you purchase.

Next the price for a quality, reliable controller card can cost as much as a new mb. You might just think about a mb, cpu, and ram upgrade rather than spending the money for a controller card. Note cheap controller cards cause a LOT of problems and do not have the performance of a quality card.

Here is an example of a decent card;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102154

Here is an example of a low end or junk card;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006

11. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

No its not an question that's the adapter I have. However I also have one that can be mounted to the host or an hard drive and wondering if I can use the two?

12. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

Update. the sata controller mounted to mother board. But when installing the windows XP OS when asked to press F6 to install 3rd party sata raid drivers I can't load them because they are on Cd rom and not floppy. So end result BIOS is not recognize the drive without sata drivers. Is floppy the only way to access them?

13. dai

dai

14. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

"Will update u"

15. DBoogie

DBoogie Thread Starter

Ok I'm able to bypass slip stream because I can put some of the raid controller drivers on floppy "just don't know which ones"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice