1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

250gb and beyond

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cymru, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cymru

cymru Thread Starter

Hi all first post and yep theres a problem.... first the specs
    MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum board
    64bit amd chip
    2gb crucial ram 3500
    MSI FX5900SP VTD256 ddr
    100gb ide
    deskstar 250gb ide
    deskstar 250gb ide
    3 yamaha scsi dvd writers

quite a simple problem you would think....i need both of the 250gig drives to be unpartitioned ( os on one drive). so its down to the 137gb problem. all of the solutions i have read so far is based on the sp1 and sp 2 route .I.e format the drive at 137gig then install windows xp pro and, then update with the pro pack and the drive should be showing at 250gb , im not having too much luck with this approach has anyone any other ideas ?

2. opopanax

opopanax

pal, seriously, what is the problem u r facing?? plz be a bit more detailed. cant understand what u r asking help for..

3. cymru

cymru Thread Starter

simply need to format 2 250gb hdds with no partitions

4. opopanax

opopanax

ok, i assume u r working in fat32 filesystem, and u want WinXP on it. The only way to get around the 137gb limit in xp and formatting in fat32 is to use the service packs, which is guess u already know how to. Another way around this, is to convert fat32 to ntfs. NTFS and FAT32 are very similar in speed, but as the size of the disk increases, the gap widens. NTFS actually stores small files in the Master File Table (MFT), to increase performance. Rather than moving the heads to the beginning of the disk to read the MFT entry, and then to the middle or end of the disk to read the actual file, the heads simply move to the beginning of the disk, and read both at the same time. This can account for a considerable increase in speed when reading lots of small files.

My suggestion: use NTFS and keep your partitions as they are. It's a better file system.

5. DVOM

DVOM

Just for clarity, you need at least one partition on a drive before it can be formatted and used.

For your problem with XP's 137G limit, when you then upgrade XP to SP2 it's not going to magically enlarge the partition to 250G. Once your OS partition is set to a certain size you'll need something like PartitionMagic to enlarge the partition.

However, after the XP SP2 upgrade you should be able to format the second drive from disk management to the full size of the disk.

One possible solution for the OS disk size limit is to slipstream SP2 into your XP install CD. I'm not sure if this will do what you need, i/e make the installation see and be able to partition and format the entire drive. Probably the easiest way to slipstream a CD is with Autostreamer which you can get here:

http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

If slipstreaming the CD doesn't work you'll need to format the entire second drive from disk management then clone the first size limited drive to the second unlimited size drive. Either way you'll need some third party program like PartitionMagic or Norton Ghost to get the full size of both drives.

Personally, I wouldn't put the OS on a 250G partition. If, for some reason, the OS needs to be reinstalled you're going to have to back up about 230-240G of data. If you put the OS on a 20G partition and have a second partition of 230G for the data you'll be able to reinstall without endangering the data.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My method of installing XP in this situation is to simply install it on a smaller drive, install the service pack, then GHOST it to the larger drive after creating the full size partitions. As DVOM mentioned, you can slipstream SP2 onto an XP CD and you'll have native support for large disks out of the gate.

I also agree that IMO it's silly to put your O/S on a huge partition. I have my boot partition as 16gigs, and only O/S and applications are installed there. Other partitions contain the data, work areas, and archives. This allows me to have a much more targeted backup strategy than one monster partition.

This system has a RAID-0 array with two 250gig drives, and it's carved up into a total of five partitions for various uses. I have a separate spindle for backups, and the total backup goes across the network and to Firewire connected drives.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!