1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

250GB hard drive only shows 110GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stephen47, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I bought a Seagate hybrid hard drive listed at 250GB. when I look at the disk using Acronis disk Director it show the disk size as 110GB. I know the actual size is usually smaller than the listed size but more than 50% smaller? Seems bogus to me.

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What os do you have installed and what service pack level? Are you sure your bios supports drives >137gig?

4. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

The os is XP service pack3. I know it supports at least a 160GB drive. Where in the BIOS does it tell the limits of the size hard drive it will support? And why would there be such limits?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Does BIOS recognize the drive as 250GB?

6. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I will check and let you know

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A computer's bios has limitations based on the number of bits it can address. Years ago there was a 512meg limit; when drives got larger, bios were written to accommodate the larger size.

As long as your bios date is later than about 2006, you should be ok with that size of drive.

Post a screenshot of device manager.

8. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

The drive shows as 118GB in Bios. There is no os on the drive in question. I was going to partition it before I installed an os. The SP3 I referred is on my computer. I am swapping hard drives while I prepare the new drive.
    My BIOS version is from 2007

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc, etc. If you have a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model #.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you do not have to prepare the drive in any way. You can simply clone your existing drive to the new drive and be done. Acronis true image gives you the option to resize partitions, keep the same size, or keep the same percentage.

11. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

This is a Dell Inspiron laptop.
    I realize I don't have to prepare the drive. The problem is the discrepency between the listed size of the drive 250GB as opposed to what the size of the drive is recognized at 110GB

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have seen this before. I would bet just about anything that you had a 120gig drive in there before. As I recall, it has something to do with the bios however I would have to do some more research on it AND I am getting ready to go to work for four days so it might be a while. I will ask another Mod to take a look at this since I have to mow the lawn, pack, etc, etc, etc.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Posted in wrong thead.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator It's My Birthday!

See if updating the BIOS fixes the improper detection issue: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=212350

I think the E1505 sports the Intel 945GM chipset which should support SATA 2.

Are there any jumpers on the Seagate drive? You shouldn't need one to be in place to allow full capacity and speed from the drive, if there's one on the jumper pins then that could be the issue.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

16. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator It's My Birthday!

Agreed, I don't think it was ever an issue with SATA anyway, but I was thinking more along the lines that its a BIOS glitch or compatibility issue with this brand new drive.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953652