1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

256 memory?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by surfnets, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

I've windows 98.
    I've 256 133 MD and I use photshop and Illustrator.
    Can I upgrade to 513 MD. Every so often I see that there's enough memory on PS and Illustrator to run. or is waste of time to put more memory my computer.

Thanks,

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I don't see why you can't go to 512 MB, I suppose it depends on how cheap it is on whether you want to spend it on thi spC or put it toward a newer faster PC.

3. imweasel

imweasel

Should be no problem with upgrading to 512mb of ram.

Just a reminder tho, win98 has problems seeing memory over 512megs.

If you are going to go higher than that, come on back and I am sure all the knowledgable folks here can help with that.

4. slipe

slipe

In Photoshop go Edit>Preferences>Memory and Image Cache. Set the maximum that Photoshop can use to at least 75%. Remember that that is only 75% of the “available” memory. So if your computer is using 100Mb of RAM for the OS and working functions then you would get only 75% of 156Mb available to PS which would give you less than 120Mb available to PS. I think it defaults to around 60% which is too low.

You can make a LOT more memory available by cleaning out your msconfig/startup Good instructions here for doing that: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm You can also Ctrl+Alt+Del and end task on anything running you don’t absolutely need before opening Photoshop.

The size of the file you are working on and how many layers, histories etc you have running determines how much RAM you need to run Photoshop. If you are working with 60Mb files you get from your film scanner you need at least 512Mb of RAM. If you are working with files you download from your 2Mp camera you should be able to arrange your RAM allocation to get by fine with 256Mb. If you are keeping the computer for a while I would just get the RAM. If your computer came with PC133 RAM you can almost certainly upgrade to 512Mb. I don’t know of a 133 MB that won’t take at least 512. And don’t pay any attention to any ignorant post about Win98 not being able to use that much RAM efficiently – it uses it just as efficiently as any other OS. Resources are a completely different issue. Like imweasel said, get back if you go over 512. And I wouldn’t go over 768 with Win98.

Illustrator is a vector program and isn’t going to take much RAM. The files are small and the program itself doesn’t seem to be a big hog. Don’t get distracted by some “available” memory indications – your computer will use what it can for cache, but give it back when it is needed. Photoshop considers cached RAM to be available – which it is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice