256 RAM upgrade on IBM 600e problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aover25

Hi, hopefully someone might know how to fix this:

Recently I bought a 256 SDRAM SODIMM pc100 non ecc stick, for my IBM 600e laptop. I took out the old sticks, one was a 32 MB stick and the other was a 64 MB stick, and installed the new chip. When I turned the computer on it was just a black screen, and there is no response from the computer at all. I then flashed the BIOS with the newest version, which apparently has support for a 256 chip, and reinstalled the 256 RAM. The same exact thing happened. Does anyone know how to install a 256 stick successfully, or have any ideas on how to upgrade the memory?

Thanks for your help!

Adam

[email protected]

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
But do you have the corrrect model 600e.

Compatible with 600E 3Ax, 5Ax, 5Bx, 4Ax, 8Ax, AAx, 4Bx, 8Bx, BAx models only.
There seems to be alot of different model numbers for the 600e. Does the laptop still work with the old memory.

aover25

Yes the laptop still works with the old memory, and the bios update I used was for the 600e 2645 8xx, and that worked out fine.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Did you try the memory in each slot? I cant find anywhere on there website which one should be used in a single dimm configuration.

aover25

Yes, I tried putting it in slot 1 then in slot 2, then tried putting it in with the 32 mb stick, and tried both slots,....I have been reading on websites that some people have put two 256 mb sdram's. so there has to be a way to get it to work...thanks for your help!

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Try returning the piece and buying one from a site such as Crucial.com which will tell you the RAM required for your laptop - or just visit the site and see what RAM they recommend.

acz

My 600e has 192k of ram.

I just went to crucial.com and learned that the max is supposedly 288 megs. That would be two 128 meg sticks, plus the 32 on the motherboard. They don't offer a 256 meg stick
Here is the link to Crucial

I think another problem is that the 600e doesn't support PC100 memory. Try to find PC66.

Just to confirm what acz said, I checked IBM's website for 600e specs, and here's what the TP 600E - General Overview had to say about memory:

The system has 64 MB of memory standard and recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory in models with the new Mobile Pentium II processor. Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion. To achieve the maximum memory of 288 MB, the 32 MB SO DIMM currently in one of the slots must be discarded.
So, there you have it: 128MB max per slot. And as I mentioned earlier, these machines don't like PC100 memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online