260 SLI or 280?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gulo Luseus

Briefly.. assuming I get my rig working again (Bah!)...
In terms of everything, whats better, a single GTX 280 or a pair of GTX 260s in SLI? I have th e260s, which I managed to get for slightly less than the cost of a 280, because some stores dont bother checking their prices properly. However, does the 280 outperform the SLI pairing? I had a look for reviews, but drew a blank so far. Cheers all :)

Gulo Luseus

Hmm.. does certainly seem that way. On the downside, I just saw the max watts for the 260. 580 odd?? Works out at about a 1600 watt PSU for the rig! Maybe this needs a rethink :(

I'm not sure if I understood your power concerns, but I think your 1000W PSU (Corsair, Antec...???) would do the job. You could also email them and ask which PSU they used :D

Gulo Luseus

The PSU is a Jeantech (Store brand), although the ratings are good and they have, generally got good reviews. I was looking at the power draw for the card at 500 odd watts- given I use 2, I wonder if the PSU will be able to cope at full stretch. Having said that, I dont think that as an SLI setup the cards would be used to full cap. At a quick calc under full load, we have about 1000W just for the cards, plus, the current setup, which is aroundabout 200 watts, i reckon. I think its best to leave th epsu as is, and se what happens- if i need a bigger one it might be time to call it a day<g> :)

Yeh, just use one until you get a better PSU. If it doesn't work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online