1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

#2CDRW installed, drawer won't open either

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itek4u, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itek4u

itek4u Thread Starter

Description: Compaq Presario 5320US, XP home edition, using Compaq 12X Ide CDRW drive. This user complained that the cdrw drawer will not open and that the front led light stays on.

I checked the drive and the drawer is indeed jammed firmly inside the drive and it refuses to open. It does not have a pin hole to open it. The led stays on, and XP does not see it anymore.

I replaced the drive with a new identical cdrw drive, checked to see if it worked and left on my merry way. Well, the very next day, the user called and said this drive is doing the exact same thing as the other drive. Any ideas what is happening here?

2. lemondrop

lemondrop

Did you try a new IDE cable with the drive?
    Bad IDE controller?

3. Don Viejo

Don Viejo

I once had a Compaq Presario that had a similar problem. As I recal I had to treat the drive as a music drive and use some other eject button from the OS rather than the buttons on the drive. If I can get to the old drive, I'll be more explicit.

4. Don Viejo

Don Viejo

Okay, here's what I had to do to open the CDRW drawer: click on My Computer, then right click on the drive in question, then left click on Eject. It happened so often I put an icon on the desktop. Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice