1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2K Server - Backup to USB pens?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jakoval, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

I am what passes for IT dept.(mostly self-taught) for a small company. Our server is an older Netfinity with RAID5 array, running Windows 2000 Server. I know it's old but serves our needs fine. Backup regime (using NTbackup) has been as follows: daily (M-F) backups to hard drive plus second daily (M-F) to 4mm DAT, as well as separate weekly backups to external USB hard drive and to a NAS device. Currently backing up a little less than 3GB in each daily.

Lately the tape backups have been giving me a lot of grief: media not found, read failures on verify, bad blocks detected... Have replaced both drive and tapes - currently on second (used) drive and third (all new) set of tapes in the last 6 months. Was thinking of switching over to using USB pen drives in place of the tapes (I can get a good deal on a bunch of 8GB Kingston DataTraveler100's)

Just wondering, first of all, if anyone has experience/opinion with regard to this kind of backup, particularly as compared to tape backups.

Secondly, if I do go this route, I'm seeing that pen drives show up as removable storage, as compared to the 300GB IOGear external that shows up as a local drive. Should I be preparing the pens with RSM as I would with tapes, or treating it as a HD based backup?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What would be your recovery method? New install of the OS and then retieve the DATA.

With all the things you are backing up to, multiple drives and media, have you looked into external storage?

3. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

Essentially, yes. I do have an acronis image from a while back that be used to restore the o/s from that point in time, should it become corrupt. (Updates would have to be redone of course and recent data retrieved). Hard drive failure is (and has been in the past) covered by the raid array. Catastrophic failure (e.g. motherboard, or building fire, etc) would likely result in hardware replacement and a different (more recent) O/S.

The rationale is as follows:
    - Local hard drive backup for fastest retrieval - for corrupted or accidentaly deleted files (have had to use on more than one occasion)

- Tape backup in case something happens to hard drives or whole system (tapes kept in fireproof safe when not in use) (Have never actually needed to use them although do regular 'test restores')

- Weekly backup to external USB 2.0 drive. Larger backups that include archived data not currently used. USB for portability if necessary, and to keep it 'out of the box'. Done Friday night to capture changes from the work week.

- Weekly to network device for essentially same as USB drive, but with a little more data security (mirrored HD's), and in a separate location (same building, different floor). Run Sunday evening, to also capture few changes that occasionally occur on weekends.

Have not considered Online storage solutions, so far, if that's what you are asking.

Sorry for the length of this post - just trying to lay out the rationale for the strategies I currently use so can judge if usb solution would be appropriate.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Flash drives are intended to be used for their portability, not as a backup medium. It sounds like you're lacking a true disaster recovery plan. Start with that, and requisition the necessary hardware to ensure the availability and security of the files. I'd suggest a new server and a new, reliable tape drive.

5. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

Would be nice - should probably request a raise and an extra week or two of holidays at the same time - all are equally likely given the owner's predispositions and current economic conditions. :(

Thanks to those who replied for their input. Any other perspectives would be welcome.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I definitely understand budgets are tight. However, spending money on flash drives is a waste. Having at least a functioning backup system is critical. You don't need the latest, greatest, and fastest, but you certainly need something reliable. Developing a disaster recovery plan doesn't require capital spending.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice