2k stops responding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kknla

I clean installed win2k pro about a week ago. I was running 98se. For some reason 2k stops responding on me, all the time. Sometimes it is able to recover, and others i have to hit the power button. Sometimes the computer seems not to stop running, but all progs using internet connection no longer respond. If I have files in transfer on ftp, the speed goes to zero. When this happens, the computer seems like it is still working somewhat, but if I try and shutdown or reboot, nothing happens. I try the 3 finger salute, but that never works either. I'm am thinking that maybe some of my drivers are not working together well, but who knows, I am no expert. I am also new to win 2000. Has anyone seen this happen, or know what is going on. Like I said, this is a new and clean install. Thanks, Barret.

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
5.0.2195 Service Pack 1 Build 2195
System Manufacturer TriGem Computer, Inc.
x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~500 Mhz
BIOS Version1.30
256 mb ram

kknla

Well, It does not look like anyone knows what is going on here. I have had nothing but problems win 2k. Looks like im going back to win98. Then I can run my dual video cards again and be able to print and scan again. That will be nice :rolleyes: Thanks, Barret.

crjdriver

You did not say what mb you are using. If you are using a via chipset mb, there is a fix for what you just described in service pack 2. You can also download the hot fix and the registry key separately.
Are you using anything other than a printer on LPT1? Lockups can be difficult to find, it may take some time and effort. I think you will be happier with win2k [at least I am]

kknla

Thanks for the quick reply. I have decided to go back to win98. Well, really, I went back last night. I think I might be having some more major problems. Everytime I install my second video card (pci) Windows freezes before startup. I have tried a diff pci slot. Later I am goging to try another card. This card was working fine on win2k and working before on win 98. Thanks, Barret

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online