1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd Computer Having Internet Troubles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SouPer, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

Recently my hard-drive was having troubles on my 2nd computer, so I decided to buy a new one. After some difficulty setting up the computer to run the internet, I was able to get it running. However, almost immediately after setting it up I ran into severe latency and connection issues. It seems that something is causing the computer to not properly receive a signal from the main computer, which has the router and modem.

I am using a cable modem with a DI-624 D-link 2.4ghz wireless router. I am not using the wireless function because I have had too many problems with it in the past, so I am just using a cable to connect to the router.

Does anyone have any ideas why the main computer can run the internet fine while the second computer is either unable to connect to the internet or only able to at very slow speeds? Looking at the LAN status icon in the bottom right of the screen, it shows the computer trying to send packets but not receiving any.

Also, I haven't had this problem with the computer before getting a new hard-drive, so my guess is that there is something not installted that is causing the problem, rather than something related to the main router and modem.

2. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

Is the second computer connected straight to the router?
    Have you tried swopping the cable, connecting to a different port on the router.
    Also you could try reinstalling your network card and running a virus scan.

3. foxx

foxx

if your PC is connected directly to the router, try surfing under safe mode. if you cant receive packets the pre-loaded security might be set too high.

4. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

1)The second computer is connected straight to the router
    2)I've tried switching ports on the router but didn't bother switching the cable because it was working fine 2 days ago and the only thing that has changed is getting a new hard-drive
    3)Shouldn't be a virus as it is a new HD which barely has anything installed on it yet

I pinged 127.0.0.1 and that worked fine, so I am guessing it isn't a hardware failure and is probably something much simpler, such as missing drivers or wrong settings for the network. Any thoughts on this?

I installed the motherboard drivers, which in turn let the computer detect the network card. Is there any of drivers you can think of that would affect the latency of a computer on a router?

5. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

I'll go try this now, as it is quite possible that the settintgs are too high since I haven't really messed with security yet.

6. foxx

foxx

FYI then, if the issue is caused by the pre-loaded security software, its the responsibility of the computer manufacturer NOT the software manufacturer so make sure to get the support from them.

7. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

I wouldnt use this as the basis for assuming that you dont have a virus - Have you got all of the Windows updates and your virus scanner up to date. Some viruses chew up your bandwidth by trying to propogate themselves to every other computer on the network. I dont think it is a virus but you will need to have this done anyway and you need to rule it out.

It might be a good idea to plug your 2nd pc into the same port and using the same cable as the first pc to rule out both the cable and the port. This will narrow it down to a problem with the 2nd computer itself.

Also check the IPCONFIG settings and make sure that it has right gateway and dns servers settings. Again, I dont think that this is the issue but make sure that it is sending to the right gateway (could be a reason for sending and not receiving).

8. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

Ok here's an interesting problem that just cropped up: I can't get into safe mode!

When I restart the computer, F8 opens up a boot option where I must choose to boot from a disk in either my CDROM drive or the floppy disk drive. I'm not sure why this is mapped to F8 but perhaps you guys could tell me another way to get into safe mode, or a way to remap it so F8 brings up the safe mode option like it used to.

As far as windows and my virus scanner being up to date, I haven't been able to get the internet working for long enough to update anything, so this isn't an option at the moment. However, the chances of there being a virus are so slim that I would rather just discard this option, as the only things I have had a chance to load on the computer so far are windows xp and some drivers for my hardware which I got off of some cds that came witht he hardware.

9. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

Ok I checked IPCONFIG and it appears to be connecting to the correct gateway and all that. While we are ruling things out, is there any possible way that not activating windows could be causing this problem? I just finished installing windows last night so I have yet to activate it. I don't really think it is the issue but I figured I would just throw that out there since I don't have a clue what the problem is right now.

10. foxx

foxx

this is only for win XP.. (how to boot to safemode)

1. Click Start then Shutdown.

2. In the Shut Down Window box drop-down list, Select Restart, and then Click the OK Button.

3. Upon the Boot-up process press the F8 key.

4. Use the arrow key to highlight Safe Mode or Safe Mode With Networking and then press the Enter key.

but since windows is not yet activated, do that fist before doing any of these steps..

the second way to go to safe mode:

1. Click on Start and then select Run.

2. Type msconfig into the Open: field and click OK.

3. Click on the BOOT.INI tab and place a check beside the /SAFEBOOT option then click on OK.

4. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Restart.

5. When they computer restarts it will boot directly into safemode without any other user interaction.

6. To boot back into normal windows repeat steps a through c unchecking the /SAVEBOOT option and restart the computer when prompted.

11. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

Alright I booted in safe mode and tried unsuccessfully to use the internet.

I'm beginning to think that the problem is related to the main computer though.

I just went into the network setup wizard for the main computer and noticed something odd. The wizard informs me that it has found a shared internet connection on the computer "Unknown Internet Connection Sharing Device" and asks if I want to use the existing shared connection for this computer's internet access.

If I select no and try to set up a different one I get an error when I try to finialize the changes. If I select it then there is no problem. Could this be related in some way?

Also, it appears that I can no longer connect to the router on the 2nd computer through typing 192.168.0.1 into IE. Normally this brings up the router options and I can adjust things but for some reason it does nothing anymore. Additionally, I get no connectivity to the internet at all now rather than the sluggish latency and constant down times I was having earlier. It appears that the 2nd computer isn't receiving any packets at all and is just always sending packets, trying to get a response.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "didn't bother switching the cable because it was working fine 2 days ago"

That's like saying I was having trouble steering the car today but didn't check for a flat tire because they were all fine 2 days ago. :)

I don't have statistics, but really think that every cable that has ever failed was working 2 days before it went bad. :) Do yourself a favor and check the cable.

If the cable checks out, see if there is an updated driver for your ethernet adapter.

13. foxx

foxx

are you getting a valid IP? if the cable is good, and the drivers are installed correctly, you can see the status on the network adapters under the device manager. rigth click, disable-enable on the NIC..

14. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

Well perhaps the cord is the problem, since it seems to be the only thing I haven't checked yet and also the only thing I don't really want to check. The cord that connects the two computers is the only one that is long enough, so if I wanted to try and switch cables I would have to move a computer into the other room and try and find enough outlets for both. I think I might just head to the store in a bit and buy a new cord. I'll give an update after I do that and we can go from there.

15. SouPer

SouPer Thread Starter

Ok I thought of something that would determine if the cord was bad or not without having to move anything. I remembered that I had a laptop lying around so I simply connected that to the cord and the internet fired right up on it.

This rules out the cord as being the source of the problem and means that it has to be a setting of some sort on the 2nd computer. Any thoughts on what settings would prevent a computer from receiving packets but allowing it to send them?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice