1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd drive on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moozer, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2nd hand laptop - Acer travelmate 7520g - and it has space for a secondary hard drive. Not knowing much (if anything) about laptop hardware, I need to ask if I can simply buy a 2.5" drive and slot it in to my laptop or do I need to buy any special connectors?

Thanks.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Often there is a special housing it will need to use to physically reside inside the laptop. There may also be a connector interface. See if you can find an exploded parts diagram for that model on-line.

3. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

I was brave enough to take the back cover off (ooo!!!) and it looks like there is a sata port on the other side of the drive bay. I assume I would therefore need a connector cable. What would I look for?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    This is what I've found. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=350635 It looks like you need a cable and a caddy (or carrier), if those parts are not in the laptop already (which I doubt). Fortunately for you, the places I've found by Googling those two part numbers appear to be mostly in the UK!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice