1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd Hard Drive Installation Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swdude12, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swdude12

swdude12 Thread Starter

I have just bought a brand new hitachi 160GB hard drive and i have installed it on the slave settings. The jumper Settings are on pins AB and CD. My computer recgnizes the 2nd hard drive. I have tried formatting it using partition magic and my going thru windows management. It will say " the format was unsuccesful" or something of that nature. The drive will format to FAT32 but will not in NTFS. I have also tried converting FAT32 to NTFS and that didnt work either. I also checked for errors and there were none. If anyone has any info on installing this drive in NTFS that would be great because this is my first time installing a HDD. I connected it to the same ribbon as the master with the other IDE connector and have also plugged in the power plug. thanks for your info and help

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

What operating system are you running?

And is the main hard drive set as Master?

When in Disk Management when you right click on it do you Partition first then format?

3. swdude12

swdude12 Thread Starter

sorry im running XP and yes the main is set to master. Yes i click partition first and then format. my cpu was bought for school in 2002 if that makes any difference.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is this a new drive, because it sounds like a dying drive frankly.

5. swdude12

swdude12 Thread Starter

yes it is a brand new drive...from what im hearing it might have to do with my motherboard bios.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

New or not it sounds NG and with Ibm Hitachi, not unusual.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To confirm from your first post, you can format the full 160 gigs as FAT32?

8. swdude12

swdude12 Thread Starter

Yes i can format it FAT32 to the full 153GB

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to post exact specs ie make and model of system [if pre-built] or the brand and model of motherboard.

Next what service pack do you have installed for xp?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice