2nd hard drive not recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mactoshb

Vista, Service pack 2, 2MB Ram, 2 X 100gb hard drives in Vaio VGN AR51E laptop
----------------------
Hi I am having a hard drive problem, specifically, second hard drive.
I just reloaded a Sony Vaio VGN AR51E laptop using the sony recovery disks.
Works perfecty except for not recognizing 2nd hard drive. It shows 2 100 GB drves in Bios But "My Computer" and "Device Manager" only see C and it is listed as 84.2GB, not 100 as it should be (I know it never shows full size but not minus 17GB) I tried "New hardware" but it doesn't seem to list hard disks Just storage controllers
I changed the second hard drive to another, no difference, I have checked the cable connections to hard drives and even swapped with cable from a similar laptop. Both drives show in Bios as 100GB so it must be a Windows problem, I think.
Would appreciate any help on this as I am trying to sell and cant till I sort this out
Thanks, Boyd:)

mactoshb

Hi, just got back in, quick reply.
In Disk management the 2nd hard drive shows as uninitialized, I tried printing out the instruction on initializing it and followed them, or would if I could understand it
Triple6 is probably right about the missing space I forgot about that (Prat! that's me.) I have just printed out the pages from your link and will get back to you when I can get a look and try anything relevant.
Frankjohn, I am cheating at the moment and took out the C: drive and am loading the unrecognised one using the recovery disks, it was the only way I could get it to format. I will disable the Windows copy on it and return the C:drive and start with it and see what happens.
Thanks for both the replies and I will keep you informed, Boyd

mactoshb

Hi, just tried to send what I will repeat below, but tiscali crashed so if this is a repeat my apologies.
My problem seems to be solved, I said I was formatting and loading the new disk using my sony recovery disks, well after replacing the original disk with Vista on it in bay 0 and putting the freshly loaded one in bay 1 and starting, I got a message Windows was installing drivers for a generic volume and then that it was ready to use after a restart.
On restarting the disk is showing as it should in Computer etc as drive G, which I will alter,
Both it and the original are shoing as 84.2 GB, which as you said Triple6 will be due to the recovery partition. I will format that dik in due course and remove the partition.
The link Frankjohn seems to not mention Vista but had I needed to could have figured out how to get there in Vista.
Incidentally the hidden partition does not show at all in Disk Management, I suppose that is their idea though
Anyway, Thanks for your help, Microsofts is too much gobblygook.
Boyd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts