1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd hard drive not showing real space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I just installed a secondary hard drive for storage purposes. It's an 80GB but only showing 31.4GB free and 66 used.

I formatted it with the Maxtor Blaster disk that came with it and I looked on the drive and it is showing two folders, both empty. One says System Volume Information and the other says Recycler but as I say, both are empty.

What to do now? Format using fdisk?

I'm running windows 2000. Thanks.

2. Rikku

Rikku

Did you use the Disk Administration control panel to Partition and Format the drive? If not, start there.

Goto Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and then click on Disk Management.

This allows you to properly partition and format drives in win2k.

3. n2gun

n2gun

I think you will find that the bios is what is limiting the size seen. One possible answer would be to partition the drive in 3 sections of 30 gig or less. Such as 25,25, and 30. The other option would be to do a bios upgrade if it is available. This would need to be done very carefully or you could end up with a dead computer.

4. n2gun

n2gun

5. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I went to the control panel and disk managment. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just clicked on the drive and selected Format. It seemed to reformat the drive but it's still reading only 31GB. I don't know anything about the bios and I don't want to screw anything up.

6. n2gun

n2gun

It would be best to get an IDE card then and hook the hard drive to that. This would allow the computer to see all the space on the drive. The cards are fairly inexpensive.

7. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

8. n2gun

n2gun

(Recommended) Purchase a PCI ATA controller card that will support the capacity of the drive. The two benefits of ATA controller cards are:
    The ability to support large capacity drives
    The ability to support the faster transfer rates of the drive. Maxtor's online store, www.maxtordirect.com, has a complete selection of ATA controller cards that support all Maxtor drives.

Most of it is what has been said here, including this part I put above. I recommend that this be the way you go. It will take advantage of the size and speed of the drive.

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I know you already said that, but I was hoping there was something on that page I could do right away. I'm assuming not. I guess I will wait and get a card then. Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice