1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd Hard Drive not showing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by derekbro, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derekbro

derekbro Thread Starter

My 2nd hard drive which I store all my media on is no longer accessible. About a week ago I started up my PC, which is attached to my TV, and my Avast antivirus popped up with warnings about a bunch of viruses. I posted in the Security/Malware forums for help, but have not received any yet. I also lost access to my 2nd hard drive where my media is stored, so I am unsure if they are related.

It was showing up in My Computer and my Device Manager, just not accessible. Every time I would try open it I would get an I/O device error message. Today is the first time it is not even showing up in My Computer or Device Manager.

I'm a computer noob and do not know how to approach this problem. I am good at following directions and Google, and is the only reason I was able to install the 2nd HDD on my own.

Where do I start? Is there anything that I can do? I would really like to salvage the data on the HDD if it is possible.

It is a Seagate Barracuda ST315005N4A1AS-RK SATA 3Gb/s 1.5TB 5900RPM 32MB Cache.

Here is my PC info:
    Microsoft Windows XP, MCE, Ver. 2002, SP3
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
    ABIT AA8 DuraMAX motherboard

2.00GB of RAM, 4x Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2-2400 DDR2 SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda ST3120827AS SATA1.5Gb/s 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache
    Seagate Barracuda ST315005N4A1AS-RK SATA 3Gb/s 1.5TB 5900RPM 32MB Cache
    ATI RADEON X800 XL 400MHz 256MB
    L&C LC-B450E 115/230V 450W 60/50Hz

Thanks for any help in advance!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice