1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd hard drive & power cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shihni, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shihni

shihni Thread Starter

I have an older Dell PC, and I ran into a roadblock while trying to add a second SATA2 hard drive. The problem is with the available power cables. Its my understanding that the drives need to be hooked up in series in addition to setting the pins on the slave drive in order for them to function correctly. Is this right? The one spare power cable I have with series connectors is too short to reach the bottom of the case where the drives are (its actually designed for 2 CD/DVD roms and a floppy drive, but I'm sure it would work if it could reach!) I spent a while going through newegg.ca's inventory and unfortunately I can only find Y-cord splitters which would put the drives in parallel, not series. Would anyone be able to help me find what I need? Secondly, I was wondering what the difference between the 5 and 4 wire power cables. My system has 5 wire cables (red, orange, black, black, white) while all of the ones I see on newegg are four wire cables. Are they interchangeable, or would I need a converter? Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hughv

Hughv

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice