1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd hard drive with files on it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gibetowngirl, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gibetowngirl

gibetowngirl Thread Starter

I just installed a second hard drive (for storage only). I am attempting to partition the drive, but it appears there are files on the drive already. These files are ones that appear to already be on the primary (master) driver. My question is how did they already get onto the new drive, and is it ok to go ahead and partition it even though the partitioning will delete these files

thanks

2. Hughv

Hughv

Are you sure you have the correct drive? It's easy to get confused.
    If you're sure, go ahead, as you already have these files. As to how they got there, I'd assume you made an error of some kind.

Why partition this drive? If it's just for storage, there may be no advantage.

3. arknorth

arknorth

Also, where did this drive come from? Is it new or used?

A-N

4. gibetowngirl

gibetowngirl Thread Starter

I'm sure its the correct drive-it is designated as "F" and when I look at the properties, it is indeed the drive I installed. I followed the instructions as described in the owners manual-except I forgot to plug in the power cord. So the computer did run for a few hours without the power cord plugged in-it took me a while to figure out a power supply was needed (DUH). This was a new drive I purchased from Best Buy-its a Western Digital 160GB. The software I purchased prompts me to partition, so I figured thats what I needed to do. If I don't need to partition, I assume I can go ahead and throw my music files into the "F" drive and everything will be ok.

BTW, I am very reluctant to partition the drive as there is a WINDOWS folder on the new drive. I don't want that folder deleted and I don't want to move it to my "C" drive because I'm afraid it will create problems.

Thanks for your help

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is no need to partition unless you want to. I never partition drives personally regardless of how big they are.

6. arknorth

arknorth

And also remember to set BOTH HDs to CS on the jumpers, and check the BIOS to see if the motherboard is seeing them properly.

A-N

7. Hughv

Hughv

I'll bet this drive was returned by someone who used it at least briefly to install windows, and that's where the folder came from.
    The jumpers seem to be fine the way they are, so don't mess with them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice