1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd HD added, boot time increased

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lister, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lister

lister Thread Starter

I installed a 250 gb seagate HD (slave), for use as storage (partitioned as below) - The first, partition is a scratch disk for Photoshop & Illustrator, the second and third are for storage.

[​IMG]

But now XP Pro takes much longer to boot than before; just the blinking cursor for about 60 seconds or so.
    Anyone have any ideas on why and if it's avoidable?

I read a post about the boot.ini file, but have no idea how it might be edited - I tried reducing the, 'Time to display list of operating systems:' option in 'Startup and Recovery - System Properties' to 5 seconds - with no effect.

specs: XP pro SP2, 1gb ddrRam, 2.8ghz P4, 1x120 gb & 1x250 gb HD.

Thanks!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Nothing should have changed in the boot.ini file to increase boot time by just adding a second hard drive. Having it set to 5 seconds with no change more or less proves that for yourself.

Another easy test would be, when the computer is turned off, unplug the new drive and see if the boot time goes back to the way it was.

3. lister

lister Thread Starter

well, I unplugged the new HD, and boot time was back to normal; so, not the boot.ini.

Damn! I restarted agin to double check, and it was back to 60 seconds!

The only thing I can think of is; when I installed the new HD, the split power cable wouldn't reach both drives, so I swapped the cable for the DVD-ROM & RW, with the HD power cables.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/363532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice