1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd HD not detecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nataku, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nataku

nataku Thread Starter

I just bought a WD Caviar 80GB 8mb cache HD for my Dell Dimension 4100. I want to have this hard drive set as the slave for my computer; however, it is not being detecting. I connected everything properly with the jumper settings set correctly and it still does not detect.

One wierd thing is, if I set the WD hard drive as the master, it boots directly to a screen saying "insert a disk to A: to boot" or something like that. (although, I realize the HD has nothing on it and has not been formatted), the wierd thing is that it boots directly to this screen and seems to skip loading anything else on the system like the memory, floppy, etc.

Any ideas on what could be the problem here?

I'm trying to find new firmware for the motherboard, but I'm finding it hard to find...

2. Rockn

Rockn

You also need to change the jumper on the drive already in the PC. It is normally set as standalone or Cable Select.

3. dai

dai

from memory wd drives run as a single master with the jumper removed,if you put in a second drive you have to reinstall the jumper to master.
    pull it out and look at the instruction sticker on the drive

4. nataku

nataku Thread Starter

but I'm trying to install it as a slave. I did follow the instructions on the sticker to set it as the slave. I'm thinking this is more of a motherboard limitation than anything else but I haven't been able to find firmware for it.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

When you jumper one drive as slave you will likely have to change the jumper one the Master too. There is a difference between "Master by itself" and "Master with slave" THe Master also needs to be at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle.

6. nataku

nataku Thread Starter

ok, the master (20gb) right now is at the end of the cable, it is set at CS right now. From my understanding that should default to master since it's master on the cable. (I've also tried setting the jumper settings to master, and the slave drive still does not detect.

7. apache9357

apache9357

First make sure Master is set to Master and it's at the end of the cable on IDE Channel1. You might want to try 1) Slave set to slave in middle of drive or 2) slave set to master on IDE Channel 2. Also try formatting and partioning it. If that doesn't work get Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tool and install it to a floppy and run it with the new drive still connected. This should fix it for you.

Here's the link bro: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

apache9357

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Did you by chance happen to set your bios to read the second hard drive? Set to auto detect? My dell dimension 2300 wouldnt recognize the second hard drive until I did that.

9. nataku

nataku Thread Starter

yup, it's set to autodetect, and i've tried every combination of master slave setting i could think of that would work. I'll try the data lifeguard tools, thanks for the link...

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the BIOS date? If it's 1999 or earlier, you probably need a BIOS upgrade.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/190755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice