1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2nd laptop cannot connect wirelessly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by plockblock, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plockblock

plockblock Thread Starter

I need help solving this wireless connection problem. I was given a second laptop ( quite old) by my aunt but i am having troubles connecting wirelessly to my router/modem. The specs are dell latitude cpx h500gt 128 mb ram running windowx xp home edition. The wireless adapter is linksys wireless-b notebook adapter#2. I have a 2wire gateway router/modem . I haven't tried wired connection yet, but i would prefer a wireless connection. Laptop can detect my ssid but it cannot connect to it ( says its out of range) even router is nearby. At my aunts place it was able to connect to the internet wirelessly but not to my router . I never had an issue like this except for this one.

not really computer savvy but i am willing to learn. I want to upgrade it but i can't get the internet working

this is the result when i typed ipconfig/all:

host name ...laptop
    primary dns suffix.... (nothing)
    node type...... broadcast
    ip routing enabled....... yes
    wins proxy enabled......yes

ethernet adapter wireless network connection
    media state....... media disconnected

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would first turn off ICS which appears to be on

This is how you turn it on - so follwo the instructions and just disable rather than enable it

XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

Then remove all the wireless profiles and then reconnect

Wireless Profiles
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
    - XP
    http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=186
    - delete the preferred networks
    start> control panel> network connections> right click on the wireless connection> listed wireless networks tab in the preferred network list click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of security do you have enabled on the router - lets see an xirrus screen shot

{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. plockblock

thanks for speedy reply. Before I continue w/ xirrus wifi inspector, I want to update you on the other stuff i followed so that maybe you can give me other suggestions. I deleted everything in the prefered network section just like what you said but i couldn't follow disabling ics. Under network connections i don't have LAN or dial up, only wireless connection which has a a red x next to it. And under the advanced tab, i do not have "internet connection sharing " section available, it is just blank. It only has windows firewall. When i followed network set up wizard it said

" the network connections listed below are disonnected. Plug in your network cables or otherwise connect your network hardware, and then click Next.

connections:
    Wireless network connection 2 wireless b notebook adapter #2

right under it, it says "ignore disconnected hardware network". should i check it ? thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You could set up file and printer sharing now, but it will be easier if you get a connection to your network first.

Can you connect successfully by ethernet?

What wireless mode and what encryption are you using on the router?

5. plockblock

i wasn't able to run xirrus becacuse it won't install , i don't know why. It would just freeze up. Also, I just found out the dell laptop I have does not have a LAN port so the only way i can connect is through wireless( at my aunts place, this is how she access internet too). it is a dell latitude cpx. It has a wireless network adapter pluged into pc card slot. The laptop runs fine even if the specs are spectacular and the only real problem i have is connecting wireless to my dsl router/model. Wireless configuration detects my ssid, says it is in range, but whenever I connect to it, a window pops up saying " it is out of range, try refreshing ". It also doesn't ask for a password even if i have one, only "detecting network type", then it says " its out of range" even if i am right next to the router. My dsl router/modem is a 2wire gateway from ATT. It has wpa encryption

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that no 802.11b adapter can deal with WPA encryption. Try w/o encryption, and if that works try WEP (with a HEX key, not an ascii passcode).

I may be wrong about the WPA; make sure that you have the latest wireless driver.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice