1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved 2nd Monitor not Detecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Divvot, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Divvot

Divvot Thread Starter

Title says the basics.

My 2nd monitor just won't be detected by my PC. It was working on Tuesday of this week, then didn't upon starting it Wednesday. I know all the cables and ports are working as I've tested them every other way I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Divvot, and welcome to TSG.

I may not be able to offer a solution, but it would help us if you gave use a lot more information:

1) Brand and model number of your computer and.or the motherboard.

2) Brand and model number of the video card (not the video controller IC on the card) added to the computer.

3) Operating system running on the computer.

4) Brands and model numbers of both monitors

5) Exactly how each monitor is connected (VGA, DVI-A, DVI-D, HDMI, etc.) to the computer or controller card.

6) Does the 2nd monitor show any kind of error message on its screen?

7) What tests you have all ready done.

3. Divvot

Divvot Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

1) Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF
    2) GTX 980 Ti
    3) Windows 10, 64 Bit
    4) Acer K222HQL, working. Other is a Bush TV that worked on it's own since September 2015, then I got the Acer a few weeks back.
    5) Acer - DP out, HDMI in. Bush - HDMI out, HDMI in.
    6) "No video available" - This is what it would say when the PC wasn't plugged in or turned on.
    7) Plugged the cables into different devices to check they work, swapped the cables to check the ports.

Also tried re-installing the drivers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    As I said in the beginning, I may not have a solution, and that is the case here. I have read that Windows 10 sometimes has problems with dual monitor setups. I wonder if a Windows 10 update around last Tuesday may have broken dual monitor operation.

I am not using Windows 10 and not familiar with it. I am going to assume that it still has some kind of display adapter properties control panel. Does it recognize that you have a second monitor? If so, is it set to a resolution supported by the Bush TV?

I don't know if it would matter to someone else here, but your "GTX 980 Ti" description for the video controller is the chip description and that chip is used by several different Video Controller Board manufacturers. Who made your board and what is the board's model number?

Are we safe to assume that you are connecting both displays to the controller board?

When you say you swapped cables and tested on different devices, were you able to confirm that the non working display on the computer did work, using the same HDMI port and cable on another device?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice