2nd monitor turns on for only a moment then goes black

Tomeonagi

Hi! I'm incredibly bad with PC stuff, I'm not someone who's ever taken the time to learn this stuff. I just know the names of things, so feel free to explain this to me like you're explaining it to a small child.

I used to have a second monitor working on my PC ~6 months ago. It stopped working after a few months, just out of nowhere. I never bothered to keep tinkering with it, because it would never come on no matter what I did.

Recently, I started messing with it again. I bought a new VGA cord, that didn't work, none of my other cords wanted to work with it. The second monitor is fairly old, it doesn't have an HDMI port. I was told you can't have a monitor plugged into the motherboard and the other into the graphics card; it had to be two in one. So I bought a display port adapter, and that didn't work. I had given up until today, when the second monitor decided to randomly turn on. It was only for a few seconds, but I could see that blank desktop, and then it would go black. I've noticed that turning the monitor on and off (not unplugging it) brings it back for a few seconds before it goes black again. My problem with it prior to this was that it wouldn't be detected by my PC no matter what I do. Now it's detected, but the monitor will go black.

I don't know if it's an actual monitor issue this time, or if it's something with my PC. I have another monitor that I can try, but I tried it before when the no signal problem was happening and that one didn't work either. I'm not sure what I should do to make it stay on for good.

My driver is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 and the second monitor I'm using is the HYUNDAI IT N91W Analog, if that offers anything.

Oddba11

Jim
I would start by testing the monitor on another computer or device to see if it works

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online