1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2TB new hard drive and Sata Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoldenSilence, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoldenSilence

GoldenSilence Thread Starter

I currently have an SSD with the OS on it.

I have a 500GB hard drive about to fail that has all my games and programs.

I have a new 2TB HD and a SATA cable.

My question is what is the best way for me to move all my programs and games over to this new hard drive?

Thanks,

H

Edit: I have just realised I do not even have a power connector for the hard drive. Where could I get one of these, I do not even know what they are called.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

If you have a spare Molex connection from your power supply, you could always purchase one of these to provide power for the 2TB HDD and install it in your PC (presupposing you have a spare SATA data port). I would clone the 500GB drive to the 2TB, disconnect the former, and then ensure the disk lettering was exactly the same.

3. GoldenSilence

Thanks,

I just opened it up and found I had a power connector and a port spare. I have connected it, it shows at BOIS and I got driver successfully installed bubble upon windows start but the drive does not show under computer/hard disk drives.

4. replay

replay

U have to initialize and format it in computer management

5. replay

replay

6. GoldenSilence

yes in middle of doing just that. I have a quick question though, I am stuck at the bit where it says designate a drive letter. I want the new drive to be the same letter as the old drive eventually and I can't have two D drives, so after choosing a new letter, can I change this after moving all my data onto the new drive?

7. kenbok51

kenbok51

Does the 500gig failing drive have any programs or games installed to it or is that data storage only and not installations? If you installed games to the secondary 500gig drive as mentioned above you will need to change the drive letter of your new drive so the game icons when clicked will be looking in the correct place for their files. If the drive is storage only with nothing installed, changing the drive letter is optional. While your cloning or copying the 500gig to the 2TB the 500gig will probably be E and the 2TB will be F. Once done you can remove the 500gig and go into Disk Management to change the 2TB to E. You may also have to initialize the new 2TB drive before you do anything also from Disk Management. Administrator Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > right click the drive to initialize or change the drive letter.

8. GoldenSilence

Yes the old drive has games and other installed programs I wish to keep. I have had windows failed to format message, the drive letter was changed to T, it kept failing, now I've unticked quick format, it crashed again. I saw the blank drive show up under Computer/Hard disk Drives so right clicked that and chose format (not quick) , now it's showing a progress bar and it has not crashed however the bar does not seem to be moving at all, I have checked resource monitor and the drive is at 99.9% activity so I 'think' I am in the process of formatting. :p

9. GoldenSilence

Still no progression on the bar after nearly 2 hours.

10. GoldenSilence

Okay, after leaving it overnight nothing happened, i ended up just closing down. For some reason, I can't get this drive working.

11. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's entirely possible the 2TB is defective. I've had that happen with drives straight out of the box, so I'd advise returning it and looking for a swap-out.

12. GoldenSilence

I knew this would happen. Everybody says "it's so simple to install a drive".

I would like to explore other options first before returning. On the BIOS screen there are four slots for bootable drives and they are taken up by the SSD, Faulty HD, and a few pen drives. Should I set the 2TB to one of these slots? could that help?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to clone the old drive to the new drive, you DO NOT partition or format the new drive. That will cause problems with drive letters. If one [or both] of your drives are WD, you can download the free version of acronis true image from the WD site.
    I use and recommend acronis TI for all cloning, disk imaging, backup work.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW it would really help if you posted your exact system specs AND the exact drive you are attempting to install.
    If you did not purchase a WD drive, there are free cloning programs you can use.

15. GoldenSilence

apparently, this Seagate drive comes completely unformatted.

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5 ST2000DM006

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice